Oscilloscope Delay Button

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by newbie217, Oct 27, 2009.

1. newbie217

Thread Starter Active Member

Apr 12, 2009
    What is the purpose of the oscilloscope delay button? What does it do exactly?

Thanks!

2. ELECTRONERD

May 26, 2009
    The purpose of the "Delay Time" button or dial is to zoom into a single waveform from multiple points on a wave. So suppose I had a wave that consisted of three different square waves that are a different frequency. The delay time enables me to zoom into any of those different square waves to examine it more closely.

Austin

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  3. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    It would help a great deal to know the context of your question.

Are you talking about an actual O'scope, or a simulation of an actual O'scope?

What is the manufacturer and model number of the O'scope?

Very generally, a delay button might enable/disable a sweep start delay, which could be fixed or variable.

4. newbie217

Apr 12, 2009
    so what if the delay button was not enabled? The waveforms would look different as you zoomed in more closely?

Is there any reason not to use the delay?

5. newbie217

Apr 12, 2009
    sorry, to be more clear I am using a typical tektronix dpo oscope. I think its rated at 500 MHz resolution.

so far I've noticed that the time scale will shift when I activatethe delay, but the waveforms always look the same w/ or w/o delay used (from what I've noticed)

6. hgmjr

Jan 28, 2005
    What oscope model are you using?

hgmjr

7. newbie217

Apr 12, 2009
    Tektronix 3054B. I've read the user manual description but wanted something a little more concrete.

8. ELECTRONERD

May 26, 2009
    What does the manual say about your "Delay Time" knob? Usually your able to select a certain time by rotating the knob, is it just a single button?

9. newbie217

Apr 12, 2009
    It's a single button.

The manual says "Enables delayed acquisition relative to the trigger event.
    Use horizontal POSITION to set the amount of delay."

Is it as self-explanatory as that? I guess I just haven't seen the need to use it yet.

10. ELECTRONERD

May 26, 2009
    Yeah, it's just what I thought it was. You press the button if you want to zoom in and using the "horizontal position" you can select how far. The greater the time you select will zoom in certain points on the waveform father. This technique is generally used for digital waveforms and will be applied in more complex situations.

11. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    Yep, it's as simple as that.

You might find this handy when looking at a long train of a digital signal, where you only want to look at a portion of the signal.

12. hgmjr

Jan 28, 2005
    There are several sections that explain how to use the "delay button" in the manual that I downloaded from the tek website.

hgmjr