Oscilloscope brands

Lundwall_Paul

Joined Oct 18, 2011
I am looking for a good quality oscilloscope. There are way too many brands that I have never heard of. So far I am leaning towards Tektronix TBS1052. Has anyone used this model? I see a lot of scopes on the market that appear to have better features for less money. What brands should I absolutely avoid? I would like to keep this below $600.

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
To paraphrase an old axiom, "No one ever lost their job by specifying Tektronix". I've used them pretty much exclusively over 40+years. When I use something else, I usually wish it said 'Tek' on it and was painted blue.

Agilent (formerly the real HP) is first rate as well but the user interface is more menu-driven. Personally, I like more knobs.

Whatever you decide, don't scrimp on your test equipment.

Just my .02

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
I am a dedicated fan of B&K Precision... I have a 1541A 40 Mhz dual, that was retired for a few years while I figeted with learning Digital cameras...

I was concerned about the unit holding calibration, and where could I take it to be checked...so I contacted B&K, and they told me the unit was long obsolete... however ...

They sent me a full set of pcb trace diagrams, parts list, component layouts, and an exhaustive calibration procedure... I found it to be quite rare that a company will provide this level of support to their past models...
The unit, bought in 1984, functions flawlessly.

Last edited:

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
I am looking for a good quality oscilloscope. There are way too many brands that I have never heard of. So far I am leaning towards Tektronix TBS1052. Has anyone used this model? I see a lot of scopes on the market that appear to have better features for less money. What brands should I absolutely avoid? I would like to keep this below $600.
My scope is a Tek 465 - I got it for free because it sometimes needs a pat on the side to get it going.

Apart from that, its a very nice instrument.

In these days of soaring popularity for LCD scopes, you can pick up some massive bargains on otherwise excellent CRT scopes.

Sometimes scrap metal prices - sometimes even free!

When I got the 465, its market value as S/H was around the £50 mark - mere crumbs compared to what it was new.

Lundwall_Paul

Joined Oct 18, 2011
I made up my mind on brand. Tektronix Always has been my preferred choice in an oscilloscope. Now I just need to select a model that I can afford.
Back in the 70's-80's I always said that Tektronix couldn't make a good spectrum analyzer and HP couldn't make a good oscilloscope. I really enjoyed using the TEK TDS3054b in my last job; But that scope is about 13k more then I want to spend.

Lundwall_Paul

Joined Oct 18, 2011
My scope is a Tek 465 - I got it for free because it sometimes needs a pat on the side to get it going.

Apart from that, its a very nice instrument.

In these days of soaring popularity for LCD scopes, you can pick up some massive bargains on otherwise excellent CRT scopes.

Sometimes scrap metal prices - sometimes even free!

When I got the 465, its market value as S/H was around the £50 mark - mere crumbs compared to what it was new.
We had 465 scopes in the Air force. The one thing that drove me nuts was the AC Gnd DC. switch was right below the Volts Per Division knob and I would hit it to the gnd position while changing scales then try to figure out what happened to the signal.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
15mhz dual trace cs-1560a

did give it once over a month ago, blew out the dust and a tad of crc on the switches :)

mines not as spottles as this pic but fully functional
I gave away a single trace Trio similar to that and kept the dual trace one as one of the spares.

There were also a pair of Philips, twins, one had a blown PSU, the other a dead sync input. One is now sort of working, but the attenuators compensation needs setting up.

How about a Tektronics new in the box 2246? I am a lurker, learning by reading. I don't know anything about scopes, but would like to learn and these are available, usually these go for under $200.00 at govt auction. A chance to take advantage of your tax dollars at work! Let me know if you are interested, a number of these are selling at the beginning of this next week. I am not a scammer, I can provide all the links and info you would like.