Oscilloscope beginner

samuraimarc

Joined Mar 28, 2009
Hello all,
I have an hp 141a oscilloscope with a 1401A dual trace amplifier and a 1420a time base plugin's. This is my first O-scope and have never used one before only seen it done a while ago. I'm trying to see the waveform of a pwm or the gating of a n-channel mosfet. I don't know where to start and I don't want to fry the scope.
Is this scope capable of showing me this?
what port do I plug into? ext. trigger? horziontal ext. trigger?
N please help with the intial setup if possible.
Thanks in advance for any help.

RFactor

Joined May 1, 2009
I woulld probably be impossible to fry your scope with what you are trying to look at assuming the voltages are well under 1000v on the mosfet. The probe should be going into ch1 input and set the voltage on ch 1 to max voltage and then bring it down until you see the waveform. You can then adjust the horizontal freq until you see the pulses.

leftyretro

Joined Nov 25, 2008
yeah it's only 12v.
Would channel 1 be channel A on the dual trace amplifier?
Yes, there should also be a ground reference clip on the probe to hook to the ground common of the circuit to be measured. Also look for a DC/AC coupling switch on the O-scope and if there is one make sure you have it in the DC position.

Lefty

samuraimarc

Joined Mar 28, 2009
Ok I tried all of that and eventually my trace line went away, I think the scope is junk. I found a different one at work and are able to get it to work fine.
Thanks