Oscilloscope and Function Generator

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by imzack, Oct 9, 2012.

1. imzack

Thread Starter Active Member

Nov 3, 2010
    I was wanting to purchase these for some time now.... Ive gone to ebay and dont want to end up with something I will regret.

Any suggestions of a reliable scope and function generator at a reasonable price?

Im just a beginner and dont need anything to elaborate.

Thanks,

Zack

2. PackratKing

Jul 13, 2008
    Check Google for B&K Precision, and see what is on their reconditioned list......

3. imzack

Thread Starter Active Member

Nov 3, 2010
    will do, thank you!

4. Audioguru

Dec 20, 2007
    About 48 years ago I built a vacuum tubes oscilloscope from a kit and a transistors function generator from a magazine project.
    I still have them and they still work perfectly. I souped up both of them over the years.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    I did pretty much the same thing at about the same time but the 'scopes were for somebody else so I wound up buying a CRT 'scope and making an EICO signal generator from a kit, and of course, I souped up the signal generator by adding 10 turn pots where there were no adjustments in the original kit. Very precise now.

But, to answer the question, it depends on what you want to do. My antique 15Mhz 'scope and a 200 Khz signal generator have served me well because I mostly messed with audio frequencies and really slow, precision analog stuff. Want to play with radio frequencies? Want to see the rise time on a digital transition? My stuff won't do that. You need to decide what the target is before you shoot money at it.

6. tpny

May 6, 2012
    I like that a lot: the concept of building something and making it grow over the years. I'm single and childless so I'm wondering if that might be something totally worthwhile as a life pursuit in place of having children and a life of family. But this is way off topic, ha.

7. Sensacell

Jun 19, 2012
    I always buy used, older top brand stuff from E-bay.

It's like borrowing it, you can always re-sell it for what you paid, the stuff really doesn't lose value unless you trash it.

Tektronix, HP, Agilent, Marconi, Wavetek etc. This gear is built to last and it's always a pleasure to work with quality tools.

Only downside- the older equipment is BIG and HEAVY.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  8. bountyhunter

Sep 7, 2009
    +1 Used tektronix scope in good condition can usually be had for a few hundred bucks. I also built a Heathkit scope in my youth, but a home made scope is a joke compared to a decent Tek scope like a 465 or similar.

A scope with a CRT is heavier than a new dig scope with phosphor display but is also order of magnitudes cheaper and still works very well.