Oscillator Confusion

BladVat

Joined Jun 16, 2014
Hello Forum,

This is my first post so I'm sorry if I've messed up anywhere! :confused:

I'm planning on adding a QC resonator and a SPDT switch into an old GameBoy Advance to see if I can do some mild overclocking. However, upon looking at the SMD crystal, it appears to have well over 2 pins! Now if I understand correctly, there is some additional circuitry in there which probably accounts for more pins, but where do I solder my measly 2 pin through-hole (obviously I won't use it as a through-hole, but just to give some context) resonator? Any help would be appreciated, but I would also like to know what the other pins' functions are so that I can have a slight clue about what goes where.

Thanks again,
BladVat

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Hello BladVat.

Do you have the part number of your mystery crystal? Without that it is anyone's guess what the pins do.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Hello BladVat.

Do you have the part number of your mystery crystal? Without that it is anyone's guess what the pins do.
It might be more than a crystal. It might be a clock oscillator with power, ground, and an enable. Replace one of those with a resonator and pffft -- nothing works.

BladVat

Joined Jun 16, 2014
Right, I had a feeling it would be something like that. But are there 2 pins that I could 'piggy-back' whilst leaving the current mystery clock in place? That's why I was of looking for a pinout schematic of some kind.

Cheers.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
I found the forum thread with the mod description and photos:

http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?t=25718

My guess is that it is a complete oscillator, not just a crystal, and the only reason this works (sometimes, according to the thread) is that the original osc and the new xtal are approx 2:1 in freq and the crystal is ringing badly enough to generate extra clock pulses. Doesn't quite make sense given the low output impedance of the osc, but that's all I got.

ak

BladVat

Joined Jun 16, 2014
Cheers for the help.

So I guess there's no surefire way to hook up a quick OC switch without specific frequencies etc? Seems a bit hit-and-miss.

BladVat