Oscar, Oscar!

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Lawyers writing ungodly amounts of laws that only a lawyer could understand, AND getting to vote yourself a pay increase.

Fix that and we are half way home again. :)
The problem is that nobody knows how many laws there are in the US. This is the sum of all Federal, State, and municipal laws. They cannot be counted as many have contingencies on other laws or situations that may or may not be in play.

This means that doing any activity is a dice roll. As long as somebody doesn't want to make your life miserable, it won't be. If they do want to make your life miserable, they can, legally.

One event that comes to mind recently is a friend of the family, 85 yrs old, had her daughter tell the police that her mom hit her (false). So, the 85 yr old mom goes to jail, and fora psych eval, while the daughter who reported her gets power of attorney over the mom's finances, creating a bigger issue with the moms other children, as the daughter who wasn't getting what she wanted in the will now has the power to change it.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
You have hit on a point that I have advised people,
If you are poor the judge has nothing to gain, If
you have money the legal system Is happy to get
involved for the reason you have stated. How
many rich people have lost there life this year,queitly
because of the death tax that ends Dec,31,10.
You can go Into hospice and get morphine needle
In three months. People can be In your best Interest
to get good medical care If you have money. Think
back this year,does that sound like a death you know of.
I stand to be corrected on this opinion.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
john,

We have a mini-revolution every two years, when the populace gets off their butt and votes. Sometimes the revolution switches the majority party in the legislative branch and sometimes it doesn't.

There is no way I would want a Constitional Convention because that places everything on the table. That would cause more harm than good.

It took fourteen years between the declaration and the approving of the Constitution. It took many compromises to get that Constitution passed.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
It took fourteen years between the declaration and the approving of the Constitution. It took many compromises to get that Constitution passed.
Yep, and we came very close to not having the Bill of Rights. Some people felt they were so obvious as to not need to be written. Thank God, they made the cut and were written. Our states are still arguing whether all of the 10 amendments apply to actions by the states. A Bill of Wrongs (i.e, limitations on the government, not its real name) did not make the cut unfortunately.

John

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Hell, the federal government doesn't follow what is enumerated to them. The 10th Amendment is hardly followed. The list of offenses is great, but I still wouldn't want a Constitutional Convention.

The oath was to support and defend the Constitution. I've known people who took the oath but never read what they were supporting or defending.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
john,

We have a mini-revolution every two years, when the populace gets off their butt and votes. Sometimes the revolution switches the majority party in the legislative branch and sometimes it doesn't.

There is no way I would want a Constitional Convention because that places everything on the table. That would cause more harm than good.

Amen to that! Given the current mindset we'd probably wind up with a theocracy.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C General Electronics Chat 4
ChrisChemist116 Off-Topic 5