Ordering parts from Digikey

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
It seems Digikey will have the PIC's I need for all my Projects.
Like,
12F629
12F675
16F84
16F88
16F877

Q1) I like to ask that are the above parts more than enuf for almost any sort of project using PIC's ?

If any one has a suggestion to add a PIC. please do comment.

Q2) Do they post items to Maldives. If not, Who is willing to help me in buying them and shipping it. I can pay in advance to everything.

I can use ebay, but I like to get them all from one seller and should be reliable, as I have seen from this forum, Digikey are a reliable seller, are they not ?

Q3) If they post overseas, which country would be cheaper for me, I mean which branch would cost me less shipping ?

I found a post about concerning this.

What about ....
Mouser.com
Microchip direct

Which one will be cheaper.

Thanks

Last edited:

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
I can't say anything about the selection of PIC's and so on, but I have used Digi for 35 years. Of course, I'm only two states away, so I know nothing about their international service. Here, they are very accurate (only 5 wrong parts in hundreds of orders, all with numerous parts in them) and fast.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Why pick the 12F675? Did you look at the 12F683, which is only $0.14 more expensive in small lots? If you really want cheap, 8 pins, and don't need analog inputs, look at the 12F5XX series.

As for shipping, India is a flat rate of $40. DigiKey does not list the Maldives. I think it is worth an e-mail to them before ordering or deciding from where to order.

John

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
It seems Digikey will have the PIC's I need for all my Projects.
Like,
12F629
12F675
The 629/675 are very similar; the 675 being more capable. You should consider the 683, as it has a PWM function which the other two lack. Cost is higher, but it's not LOTS more. You need to define your requirements first, and then selection of the uC will become much easier.
I think the 16F84 is obsolete. The 16F84A might still be in production. Check Microchips' site for their recommendations.
16F88
16F877
The 16F87x uCs are obsolete.
Consider the 16F88x series instead (16F887, 16F883, etc) - otherwise you will pay considerably more for an obsolete uC.

Q1) I like to ask that are the above parts more than enuf for almost any sort of project using PIC's ?
They are all 8-bit uC's which are fine for many projects.
You might look at the PIC16F193x series. I requested samples of the (relatively new) 28-pin DIP PIC16F1933, and they are quite impressive. Have a look at the specifications on Microchip's site, and compare it to others. This thing seems like it'll do everything except fix plumbing problems. ;) 32MHz on the internal clock. Pretty cheap, too - at around $1.25 each from Microchip Direct.

B. Knudson's CC5X freeware C compiler has support for the PIC16F193x series. That's one item for new uC's; finding a compiler that supports them.

But, as I suggested before, you need to define your requirements.

If any one has a suggestion to add a PIC. please do comment.
If you want to do anything with Ethernet, look at the PIC18F series.

Q2) Do they post items to Maldives. If not, Who is willing to help me in buying them and shipping it. I can pay in advance to everything.
I have no clue. Your best bet would be to contact them by either E-mail or telephone, the former being quite a bit less expensive. ;)

I can use ebay, but I like to get them all from one seller and should be reliable, as I have seen from this forum, Digikey are a reliable seller, are they not ?
Digikey is a first-class authorized distributor for many manufacturers. They may not have the lowest prices, but you can be certain that you will be getting a genuine factory part; whereas buying on E-bay is like rolling the dice. Digikey has a reputation to uphold, and they work hard to make certain that their customers are satisfied. It's the same for other major authorized distributors.
Q3) If they post overseas, which country would be cheaper for me, I mean which branch would cost me less shipping ?
You will have to inquire yourself. You might just go on a shipping companys' website like Fedex, DHL, or whomever delivers items to the Maldives, and see how much it would coast to ship a parcel from the location of the vendor you are considering purchasing from to your location.

I found a post about concerning this.
What about

Mouser.com
Another first-rate company. They have offices worldwide. See their website for locations.
Micrchipdirect
They also have offices worldwide. You can order a limited number of free samples from Microchip Direct; that's how I got these PIC16F1933's. Can't remember where they shipped from; Thailand I think.

Which one will be cheaper.
Microchip Direct has a minimum order requirement; I think it's $25 not including shipping. However, if you're buying directly from the manufacturer to begin with, what's the odds that they will ship anything other than the genuine item?

If you don't have a programmer, you will need to buy or build one. It's often easiest to start off buying one that will cover all of the uC's that you are planning on using for now, and possibly in the future.

I bought a PICkit 1, but it only supports up to 14-pin DIP uC's. However, that's fine for the little critters. I built another programmer that supports up to 40-pin DIPs via RS-232, but I don't suggest that for a new build, as RS-232 has gone the way of the dinosaurs. Most new computers don't even have RS-232 ports; you'd have to buy an add-on multi-I/O card that would take up a PCI slot. Why go to that extra expense/effort when you can use a USB port and communicate at warp speed? ;)

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Thanks all. Asking around did help on choosing.

As u know when it come building projects, we use to make it what is on hand, like that I am trying to buy a couple of useful chips to keep in stock, when I rx the advance payment.

Due to the resignation of the parliament members, the cops are quite buzy keeping the country from riots, so the bid is still on hold. I can get the project only if the previous party wins the bid, whome which I made the first flashers. If they wins the siren project will be a good to go.

12F629 are for my flasher project only. I will need at least around 30pcs.
As for 12F675, I know it has a DAC, so it will be useful for little projects than F629.
Sgt, if F683 is better than F675. Then I will have a couple of those in stock.

As for obsolete PIC's I will check for their replacements from the no.s suggested.

As for ethernet types, I will need them but BMorse will know what type of 32 bit PIC I will need as we are planning a little project.

All in all, I just thought I will ask around what no's are best to keep in stock. I will buy minimum 5 to 10 pcs each.
Which will be enuf to build all sort of stuff.

I know there are PIC's that are at the top of their class range.
Like which is at the top of 12F, 16F, 18F and so on.
these things will be best known to more experienced guye like you.

As you said PIC's with DACs and PWM offers a lot and is best to have than have a PIC without them.
Like if I have known this before I would have bought F675 instead of F629 for the flashers. Now when I needed a DAC, I have to buy F675 now. But if I had bought 50pcs of F675, then I would have them lying around instead of the F629 which I cannot use most of the time.

So I will do a little datasheet reading with the recent ones that are available.

Sgt. I do have a programmer, a USB one. You guys might have seen it in some of my posts. If you do not remember, check out the desktop game thread in off topic ;)

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Sounds like a good selection. Probably swap the 84 for a 628 and I quite like the 12F683s. I got some 10F202s as well for tiny stuff - can't get much smaller than a 6pin SOT-23. 10F222s have ADC as well in the same format.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Yeah, the 628 is what I was trying to remember. Tanky, Markd77. ;)

The 16F630/676 is interesting 14-pin uC, too. The 676 has an ADC, the 630 doesn't. The 676 is like a 12F675, but with another 6 I/O pins.

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
If you want to get started with PICs, I suggest you get some PIC16F690's. They have 256 bytes of RAM, 7 KB flash and 17 bidirectional IO + 1 input only pin in a DIP20 package. 2V-5.5V, up to 20 MHz, 10-bit ADC 12 ch, 4 x PWM, ECCP, 3 timers and 256 bytes EEPROM. I got one with my PICkit 2, it's a good starting chip, and I ordered a few more from Farnell (which I can also recommend for their good service, though only had one order so far.) You can get a few similar chips like the PIC16F687 for less which has less RAM and flash and one less timer but is overall quite similar.

Farnell offer an export service, contact them to see if they will ship to you.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
OK ....who is closer to Digikey.
In US, in Canada, in UK , in........ u know what, I really have no idea where else

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
middle of no where...but aren't there branches.
Just now I did a live chat with a digikey personal and the personal was chatting from thief River Falls. I wanted to chat with a Singapore digikey personal, instead I got hooked to the US.
I was trying Singapore cause, Shipping would be low...but noooo.
I got hooked up to a US digikey with a standard UPS rate of USD 75.00 :eek:.
So what is the use of branches?

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Well, depending on the product you order, it should be shipped from the geographically warehouse.

Just because they have a sales department in Singapore doesn't mean they have a warehouse there.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
The problem is the air freight into the Maldives. The rate to India is "just" $40. You can go to their International Customers, shipping section to check various countries. Their warehouse is 600,000 square feet. The rest of Thief River Falls is a church and elementary school.

I am not surprised DigiKey does not duplicate that warehouse elsewhere. It is relatively small (somewhat less than $1B annual sales) compared to other, multinational businesses. Nevertheless, international shipping rates seem to take advantage of the client, but it is not DigiKey, it is the shipper. Some even smaller international dealers (e.g., Hobby King in Hong Kong) have very reasonable international shipping, but I suspect there are other factors involved in that.

John

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
As always I am trying to figure out before hand
I got to buy some mikro Pic's , the dspchips too and the stepper drivers

I think the bid will be finalized in the coming week, so I am trying to find some ways to buy all the compo's I want from 1 supplier. I want to be ready for the job.

@ retched.
I knew you would want to help. I am sorry that I always ask and find out somethings but I never get to order anything. You see, a lot of people asks me this and that, so I too tries to find ways before hand.
You might wonder that I never actually bought anything. I know the time you take to find out the things that I sometimes need from US but I do not go through with it.
Sorry for putting you thru all this. Most of the time customers does not go through with the deal after I find sources for him.

But this components is something I will need, but I can buy them once the deal goes off and after that I will get the advance payment.
I have bought the steppers and the seller sent me a funny email saying that EMS did not go thru, so he had reship the motors yesterday thru HK post. Fun part is I use EMS like everyday. But I did not make a fuss. Me Being the sellers first customer and the motors is his first sell on ebay, I do not think he would want me to give him a negative fb.

retched, are u close to digikey ?