orcad Auto Routing issue

everlastinglive.97

Joined Sep 13, 2013
Hi everybodyI'm a beginner in orcad pcb desighn,and i have created a circuit using orcad capture V16.5 sw then trnasfer it to pcb editor and when i have made autorouter,
i found that some tracks are crossed, and they shouldn't be and i don't know why it's crossed,
is it an issue in autorouting?
or i'm doing some thing wrong
or there any configurations befor using auto routing
so pls help

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Is it possible the tracks are on the different layers?

If on the same layer check the global rules: you may have made the minimum distance between conductors zero or something else like that.

Orcad didn't even let ME add crossing tracks: it would auto push things away or just not

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
On the menu hit Setup | Constraints to get into the Constraint Manager. Take a look thru there for any setting that could allow wires to cross.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
My advice: DO NOT EVER USE THE AUTOROUTER!

I've posted this many times, but there's always someone else trying to use autorouters. They rarely do anything for you, it's definitely worth routing by hand as much as possible.

Dave Jones, from the EEVblog, has had the same experience with autorouters that I have, and does a good job of explaining why you should avoid them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JYG49zgEio

Just try to do it by hand, it's well worth it.

everlastinglive.97

Joined Sep 13, 2013
thanks'for all of you
i will try manual routing,and it's good for simple circuits,
but what can i do for complex cct i think it's difficult to use manual routing for this situation

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
thanks'for all of you
i will try manual routing,and it's good for simple circuits,
but what can i do for complex cct i think it's difficult to use manual routing for this situation
In that case I suggest you do as much manual routing as you can on a complex PCB, THEN use the autorouter ONLY to show you ways of routing the traces, but I recommend you still route it manually, only following the paths. Autorouters love to take sharp corners, make sloppy trace angles and directions, etc. By routing manually, you can avoid these bad designs.

Matt

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
When I look at a schematic I mentally divide the interconnections into two broad categories.

The first catagory is those traces that need some kind of special treatment, be it due to size or that it needs be near or far from something, or in any way needs special treatment. The second catagory are those traces that even an idiot couldn't mess up.

Hand route the first type, leave the remainder to the auto router.