Optoisolator NEC 2532 problem.

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by SIcam, Sep 1, 2008.

1. SIcam

Thread Starter Active Member

Aug 9, 2008
    I am having a problem with controlling a LED through an Optoisolator (NEC2532) from an arduino microcontroller.

Problem: I expected the LED to be off until I trigger the Optoisolator similar to the following but trigger a LED instead of a Flash unit.
    http://www.glacialwanderer.com/hobbyrobotics/?p=10
    Opto Spec Sheet: http://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/Components/PS2532-Optoisolator.pdf

Investigation: I have hooked a NEC2532 Optoisolator across the output on Arduino Output Pin 4 to Opto Pin 1 then from Opto Pin 2 to 50 Ohms resistance then to Ground on the Arduino Board. The opto is trying to control the on/off state of and LED. The LED is connected as follows: Arduino Pin 8 to 1k ohm resistor then to Pin 3 on the Opto then from Pin 4 on the Opto to a LED then from the LED back to ground on the board.

Results:
    I have Pin 4 (Control to the opto) set to LOW and Pin 8 (power for the LED) set to be ON 1/2 second then Off 1/2 Second. I expected the LED to remain off until I triggered Pin 4 to a logic HIGH state but the LED blinks like the Opto is not direct shorted from Pins 3 and 4 on the opto.

Anyone got an Arduino that can tell me what I am doing wrong? Or does anyone know why the Optoisolator is letting pins 3 and 4 act shorted?

2. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

I think you have the pins 3 and 4 the wrog way around.
    The diode in the optocoupler will conduct constantly , independend on the input.
    (this diode is there to protect against conntcting the wrong way around).

Greetings,
    Bertus

3. SIcam

Thread Starter Active Member

Aug 9, 2008
    You are absolutely correct. I found this out about 2 hours after I posted the question. This is now working like charm. I know have the optocoupler connected to the output of the arduino with 50 ohms in series with it. I have a camera connected with 10k ohms resistors in series and it is controlling a camera. I now have time lapse photography.