Optimal Energy Harvesting of a Bike Generator for Charging..two approaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

madsi

Joined Feb 13, 2015
I have been schooled up to my first university year of calculus, but I wonder if someone could help me use this long-shelved knowledge in my mind to answer this question:

Is it more effective/efficient to convert the low voltage output of a wheel pickup coil to continuously charge a 4.18 (fully charged) Li-Ion battery using a very efficient (60 to 90%) MCP1624 boost converter(starts operating at .9V), or else simply connect the rectified output of the magnet pickup coil (source resistance copper loss =150 ohms) to charge(any charging requires rectified capacitor voltage >(bridge rectifier +battery voltage)?

Please see my posting today of this topic, alas which has given me responses, but gives me no quantitative answers. It is in General Electronics section of this forum.
http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/most-effective-way-to-use-generator-output.107037/

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
You can't get quantitative answers if the output characteristics of the generator aren't known.
At low revs the converter method will be better. At high revs the direct-connection method will be better.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Why start another thread. One is enough.

You cannot get quantitative answers if you cannot provide quantitative data.

What is the power output of your generator?

Status
Not open for further replies.