optical electronics and optical effects

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by relicmarks, May 3, 2008.

1. relicmarks

Thread Starter Active Member

Oct 13, 2006
    I'm trying to learn more about optical electronics mostly about lamps+LDR's

What do you guys know about optical electronics and how Lamps or LEDs with LDR circuit/networks react and characterists?

1.) The distances or spacing of the LAMP to LDR makes a difference in what?

2.) How does the colour of the LAMP affect the LDR"s speed or resistance changes?

3.) What types of optical effects is there with LED+ LDR's or LAMP+LDR's?

4.) Another type of optical effects is LED+FET or LAMP+FET, how is the optical effect different?

5.) What types of optical effects do you guys know about?

6.) There is LDR's that are slow and some that are fast , in the datasheets what would this be called? is this the LDR"s slew rate?

2. relicmarks

Oct 13, 2006
    What adjusts the "Sensitivity" of the LDR?

Graph of (LDR ) resistance VS Intensity for different coloured light

The intensity percentage % is the light level

How can i hook up a function generator sinewave up directly to a LAMP or LED? would i need a lamp or LED driver stage or something?

When i hook up a function generator sinewave up to a LAMP , the LAMP is going to be "changes in illumination"

DO different Lamps have different slew rates or rise times and fall times?
    on the LAMP's data sheets what would this be called please?

3. relicmarks

Oct 13, 2006
    1) The spacing of light source and LDR will vary LDR resistance due to reduction or increment of light intensity exposing the LDR.

Can you explain more about this

2) The color of the lamp will not affect the LDR respond speed or resistance if the intensity is the same. LDR are color blind unless a light filter is placed in between or the sensor is dedicated to a color.

A light filter is going to change the LDR's what response time and LDR resistance?

3.) What adjusts the "respond time" of the LDR? how to make it slow or fast respond time?

4.) 7) LDR is resistance differential, you can adjusted with resistor bridge.

What is a resistor bridge?