Opinions

miketen

Joined Mar 28, 2009
I was cleaning the inside my stereo last night when I ran across this. This was purchased new 5 years ago, and was never serviced? What do you guys think? BTW I just started to use the digital outputs when I noticed some outputs not working correctly. I'm no longer wondering.

Attachments

Last edited:

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
We did some effects like that when we discovered that a Weller gun got hotter when you used a loop of 14 ga building wire in place of the normal tip, and that if the loop were long enough, it would actually shoot a blob of molten solder off when the trigger got pulled.

The only difference is that we cleaned up the mess...

miketen

Joined Mar 28, 2009
It should be easy enough to replace, I'm just curious what other "experts" think of this, before I attempt at demanding the mgf gives me a replacement board at no charge. I just can't believe a manufacture would send something out with a board like this. It would seem at best this would have had to be labled as a remanufactured product.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Depends on the brand. If it failed testing out of the reflow oven, it could have been replaced by hand, and it was the guy's first day on the job, while their rework station was busted.

I've seen oddities in new equipment, but the only place I've seen it that bad is on eBay.

miketen

Joined Mar 28, 2009
It is ugly isn't it.... As for the QC, in my opinion this should have never gone out. This is out of a $1300.00 reciever. I would possibly expect this from a box store brand, but not a high end brand. I'm not a circuit expert by any means, so is this making the chip work harder or possible malfunction? BTW this chip is on the processor board, once I hooked up the digital outputs I lost the subwoofer output on certain modes. I'm guessing the problem is this chip! What do you guys think without being able to test it?
Thanks for the opinion and keep them coming.

Last edited:

HarveyH42

Joined Jul 22, 2007
$1300? I'd demand the manufacturer make it right. That's really bad, worst than some of the cheap China stuff I've worked on. For the price, you deserve a lot better quality. No matter how careful, things like that do occasionally slip through. Bringing it to their attention would help them make sure it does not get out the door in the future. I'm sure quality is a high priority, and they want to keep you as a happy customer.