operational amplifier

fireintheit

Joined Jun 14, 2014
I just setup a non-inverting circuit using an tlc272 op amp cp. But I am not sure of what the op amp does. I am using a potentiometer to control the voltage supply. I believe there is suppose to be some type of gain but when check the amount of current flowing through the circuit (using multimeter), the amount of current in the output is equal to the amount of current in the in the input. I have connected the positive input to 9 volt battery and the negative input to ground.

I was wondering if some could explain what op amps are used for?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Standard op amps are a voltage gain block with a very high open loop voltage gain and a non-inverting circuit should provide non-inverting voltage gain. Your mention of input and output current "flowing through the circuit" makes no sense. Post your circuit schematic.

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
can some explain what voltage gain actually is. I am not sure why some would use op amps in circuits?
Example.
I setup amplifier to provide gain of 6.
I put 1 volt in. I get out 6 volts.
Input 1 volt.
Output 6 volts.
I have successfully amplified 1 volt into 6 volts.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
can some explain what voltage gain actually is. I am not sure why some would use op amps in circuits?
Say you have a small signal from some type of sensor and you want to make it larger so you can process it with an A/D converter. For that you can use an op amp to amplify the voltage from the small sensor voltage (say 100mv) to a voltage that the A/D input needs (say 5V) so you use an op amp circuit with a gain of 50.

Op amps are sort of the swiss-army-knife gain block of analog circuits. That can be configured to do all sorts of functions such an amplifier (single-ended, differential, trans-impedance), active-filter, integrator, differentiator, oscillator (sinewave or square-wave), precision rectifier, etc.

Edit: You seem to have only a vague knowledge of electricity and electronics. I suggest you read some tutorials on that subject.

to3metalcan

Joined Jul 20, 2014
That picture is not very helpful. I can't make out the resistor values, nor can I even tell if you have the op amp the right way around. Here's a better question: what were you TRYING to do with this circuit?

(You also, as Shteii noted, don't seem to have connected it to power. Not to mention your schematic has two resistors and I see three here!)

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
You proved that op amps are useless; something I suspected for years. Still, why do they make billions of these things every year?
How the hell did you come to that conclusion? Opamps are useless only if you have no clue on how to actually use them. Reading the datasheet goes a long way.

to3metalcan

Joined Jul 20, 2014
How the hell did you come to that conclusion? Opamps are useless only if you have no clue on how to actually use them. Reading the datasheet goes a long way.
Congratulations all around; this goes a long way toward proving my thesis that ELECTRICITY IS A HOAX! :D