operating two induction motors using single vfd

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by ABHISHEK REDDY, May 20, 2013.

1. ABHISHEK REDDY

Thread Starter New Member

May 20, 2013
    Is it possible to operate two three phase induction motors using a single delta VFD Drive.If it is possible, please tell me the required settings.

2. Biff383

Jun 6, 2012
    Yes it is possable but not ideal. You would set the VFD's to the total of the two motors, being certain the the totals are within the VFD's capability.

3. rose101wesley

Jun 22, 2013
    I think its possible, but there are some limitation on that one, visiting a local Delta Variable Frequency Drives shop and consult to the technician would be a good idea.

4. Duane P Wetick

Apr 23, 2009
    The first question is: why do you want to do this?... Are both motors coupled to the same load?...Will you have a possible synchronization problem running both motors at the same speed? Are the motors independent from each other? I have run 2 vibrator motors off of 1 VFD, but a sychronization line was required so one motor was not fighting the other one as they were coupled to the same vibrating load. The VFD must have the capacity to run both motor KVA ratimgs, and the motors must be VFD service rated.

Cheerrs, DPW [Everything has limitations...and I hate limitations.]

5. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    Yes it is possible, but only in few instances is it the ideal solution. Especially when there are onl 2 motors. Remember that when you input the combined motor nameplate data, that will be applied to both motors. So if one motor fails and drops out of the loop, you now are using only one motor to drive the load that used to be driven by 2 motors, and you are feeding it double the power it is rated for. Domino effect ensues. I would recommend installing individual overload devices with aux contacts that are in series, providing the drive with an external fault input.