operating an lcd screen

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by jayanthyk192, Aug 30, 2010.

1. jayanthyk192

Thread Starter Member

Jan 23, 2010
    hi,

i'm using an lcd screen for my project.i want to make it completely black in one stage and completely white in another.i removed the screen from an old cell phone.this screen has many pins and i donot know how to use it.all i need to know is how to make it black and white using a battery and a circuit if necessery.

thank you.

2. tom66

May 9, 2009
    You'll find it very difficult unfortunately. The display is usually connected over SPI/I²C/some serial bus or a parallel interface. You can't usually access the pixels on it without a microcontroller.

Also, it is important to note an LCD display appears "white" only because it is allowing the light from the backlight to shine through. An LCD does not normally emit light.

3. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    On the Web, I have seen papers about tweaking some Nokia display to work with a MCU. The displays came from quite simple models. Have you tried Googling the part number of your display? As Tom66 says it may be a hard job to find out how. A LCD display unit is a quite complex unit, containing its own controller unit. So you do not write to the LCD, but the controller unit on the LCD. You can get general purpose LCD displays quite cheap, connect it to a MCU. And have a lot of fun with them. Just ensure that it has a Hitachi 44780 or compatible LCD controller onboard(KS0066 as one example).

4. jayanthyk192

Thread Starter Member

Jan 23, 2010
    its okay if i use a MC.please give me a link where i can learn these very quickly.i can program the MC from that.

5. tom66

May 9, 2009
  6. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    You will not find "a link" so easy. You have to search using Google. The display are most probably a "custom design" part. So it might be that no specs are available. If this is a school project, given to you by your teacher, he/she will also have the information you need.
    Also information is the key, always then asking for help in a forum. Like you have not told us from which phone the display is taken from. Sometimes posting a picture might help.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  7. jayanthyk192

Thread Starter Member

Jan 23, 2010
    i'm using a nokia 1100 screen.i got the pin configuration on a website,which gave the source code to do some small projects on the screen using MC.but i got the idea to make the screen dark and white.which is enough for me right now.