open up a transformer

bug13

Joined Feb 13, 2012
Hi guys

Is there a way to crack this transformer up with breaking it? I want to re wind it. thanks

edit: without breaking it

Last edited:

absf

Joined Dec 29, 2010
Last time I used a heat gun and the plastic parts were all melted.

Recently I used the de-soldering hot air gun and put a sheet of aluminium between the ferric part and the coils. It worked well. The tricky part is that you have to apply heat on both sides evenly or else the ferric would crack.

May be someone with good chemistry knowledge knew what chemical to use to dissolve the glue.

Allen

Last edited:

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
I use a microwave oven & it works realy well & doesnt melt the plastic bobbin. The oven i use is an old one specificly for this purpose, as its hard on the magnetrons. Have replaced acouple of magnetrons for about 30 transformers. Magnetrons are free from other dumped microwave ovens which had other problems. I have a large supply of magnetrons from the local scrap yard.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
As a tip. It is not recommended to reuse copper wire from transformer windings. In a new transformer application. The reason is that the insulation on the copper wire may crack up

tinkerman

Joined Jul 22, 2012
Looks Tig welded.
This transformer looks rather small so it's difficult to tell. Lots of the larger transformers like street light ballasts are welded and I've cut through the weld with a disc grinder, then rewelded it back together. Salvaged the 120 volt coil(s) added a secondary for a fairly large capacity battery charger.

bug13

Joined Feb 13, 2012
I use a microwave oven & it works realy well & doesnt melt the plastic bobbin. The oven i use is an old one specificly for this purpose, as its hard on the magnetrons. Have replaced acouple of magnetrons for about 30 transformers. Magnetrons are free from other dumped microwave ovens which had other problems. I have a large supply of magnetrons from the local scrap yard.
Are those glue stuff safe? I mean not poisonous? I don't have a spare microwave oven.

bug13

Joined Feb 13, 2012

Thanks for your idea, I used a toaster mini oven I have spare, 180 degree C, perfectly done.

I removed the transformer as soon as the oven hit 180 degree C.

Thanks