Open Source TCAD (Help! xD)

Discussion in 'Electronics Resources' started by annbarbie01, Aug 21, 2014.

1. annbarbie01

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 1, 2013
    I am planning to test different devices (scr, mos, bjt, etc.) and see how it will perform during high voltage and current surges (ESD-related). I was told to search for open source TCAD device simulator and found several on the net. Can you give any suggestions on what i should use? Something that requires minimal programming ( i don't have much knowledge in it). Thank you in advance! :)

P.S. I found gss (Genius) but the installation steps really seem complicated. I'm planning to look for something else. I am still a student so I only look for open source. I can't afford to pay for any licensed program. xD Thanks!

2. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    Simulators don't generally simulate the effects of high voltages and current surges or ESD effects.

3. annbarbie01

Oct 1, 2013
    Then maybe something where I can measure the temperature in each part of the device? Like, 'Oh, the silicon in this part has reached 1600 degrees. It's past the melting point so I assume it's destroyed.' Something like that? :)

4. annbarbie01

Oct 1, 2013
    2D will do. As long as it can perform transient simulations and time-domain simulations. :)