Open source servo controller project

Julien

Joined Jan 3, 2011
Hi,

I'm currently working with a friend on an open source USB servo controller with 21 inputs/outputs based on an AVR32 mcu.

The project basically has three goals:

• Replace classic servo controllers like lynxmotion SSC32 or pololu maestro.
  • Provide an autonomous robot controller, for instance a hexapod or a humanoid robot.
  • Provide customizable interface between several servo formats (RC, dynamixel, openservo) and devices (via usb, uart, i2c, rc ppm,...). For instance controlling a lego robot (i2c) with a RC transmitter (PPM).

We called it OpenSCB for open servo controller board. So I'd be interested to have your suggestions and feelings about it. If you have an interest in such a project, for what kind of application would you use it? What features have we forgotten or on which ones should we be focusing on?

Thanks for your feedback,
Julien

Julien

Joined Jan 3, 2011
Looks very interesting. Why do we have to register and get a password?
John
Thanks John, you don't need to register (unless there is a bug on the website, what browser are you using?).
Registering is only needed if you want to post comment, get notified on new articles, etc...

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I didn't try. I just read through the site and assumed registration was needed to get any deeper. Anyway, there are several long-time modelers on this site. I am one of them. I enjoy almost any discussion related to servos. I am not into robotics, though, and don't need that many channels. But, I will follow it or sure.

John

Julien

Joined Jan 3, 2011
Thanks for you feedback, I guess we still need to reorganize the website a little bit; there are actually two parts: the main project presentation and the developer zone.

I like robotics, but I'm a modeler too (beginner in plane and heli). I think you can find some interesting application of a good servo controller for modeler, you could create a very flexible and customizable mixer for simple radio.
For instance, I have a 7 channel Futaba radio and it has quite limited mixing capabilities. Let's say I want to build a big bird like a B-29 with 4 motors, retractable gears, 2-3 servos per wing, cannon turret, etc...
With a servo controller I could keep my simple radio, plug the 7 inputs from my receiver, and get many servo outputs, with all the mixing, cinematic I can dream about! :)

Julien