Open ended USB interface

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Wendy, Dec 25, 2008.

1. Wendy

Thread Starter Moderator

Mar 24, 2008
    This comes close to the spam restriction, but I think it will pass muster. Just came across an interesting gadget, wish I could afford it (later perhaps). Basically it takes a USB port on your computer and expand it out to several channels of digital inputs and outputs, similar to what the printer port is often used for.

[​IMG]

http://www.bgmicro.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=12926&HS=1

I can see so many uses for this gadget...

2. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
  3. Wendy

Thread Starter Moderator

Mar 24, 2008
    Have you looked at my blog? :) I put that particular microcontroller up there because I thought it was neat. The thing of it is, I used to write assembly code, but I burned out on it. I'd rather have a quick and dirty interface to use with a high level language. If I ever get back into that mode I'll probably check out the Ardunio controller.

There have been several times I wanted a simple interface for BASIC to control something else. The printer port is good, but it is fading away, so a USB alternative is also good.

4. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello Bill,

I have come to the Arduino because I read an article in the Linux Format special "YOU CAN CODE".
    http://www.linuxformat.co.uk/blog/?p=434
    There they use a kind of higher language.
    It looks like a sort of C language.
    They are using the "Arduino development envirement".

Greetings,
    Bertus

5. eblc1388

Nov 28, 2008
    Hi Bill,

Please take a look at this link. It use an AVR to send/receive signal via USB. There are many practical applications examples.

Projects Based on AVR-USB