Open collector to relay...giving me a 12v shock all day long

MMMatt

Joined Jun 25, 2014
I have a open collector to a relay and am using a 12v power supply. The first time the open collector opened the relay fired and I got a signal from my contact closure. Now the relay wont disengage and I am getting a 12V shock on either side of my contact closure wires. What have I done? I wired the coil on the relay to + on the power supply and + on the open collector side, then tied the - on the power supply to the - on the open collector. Did I do that correctly?

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
If you did not have a diode (1N400x or similar) across the coil of the relay, its likely you fried the transistor when it turned off due to back EMF. Put a diode across the coil, banded end towards the +12V supply.

Welcome to AAC BTW.

EDIT: Re-reading your post:
The circuit should be
+12V to one end of the coil.
Collector of the NPN transistor to the other end of the coil
Emitter to ground.
Diode across the coil.

Current into the base of the transistor turns on the relay.

MMMatt

Joined Jun 25, 2014
Ok, lets see if my brain is following you. I did wire it correctly but I need a diode and may have fried the transistor.

MMMatt

Joined Jun 25, 2014
Wait so I sent current the other way? Why would this fry the transistor? Shouldn't it allow current both ways as long as the current doesn't exceed its rating?

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
I didn't think I needed a diode across the coil. Why would I with an open collector? Shouldn't the collector break the circuit when its deactivated?
It does. But what do you do with the energy stored in the coil's magnetic field when it collapses? It generates voltage in the opposite direction - and lots of it. Its not unusual to see several hundred volts across a coil when it releases.

I'm assuming you are using a circuit like the sketch attached.
The other attachment explains what happens in a coil when its released and what to do about it.

Mr. Carlos's circuit is essentially the same as mine but he thinks you might have welded contacts. Could be, but it sounds to me like you fried the driver. Check both.

It wouldn't hurt to post a sketch of your circuit.

Attachments

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
Not exactly sure where the diagonal wire connects in your diagram but either my or MrCarlos' driver diagram will work if you add a diode across the relay coil.
Wait so I sent current the other way? Why would this fry the transistor? Shouldn't it allow current both ways as long as the current doesn't exceed its rating?
Transistors conduct (safely) only in one direction. The collapsing magnetic field in the coil will cause very high voltages (likely exceeding its rating) which will break the transistor. That's why you need the diode.

Last edited:

Pencil

Joined Dec 8, 2009
Could you be specific as to what component, IC or transistor
that you are connecting to? Also what is the pin number
on the component you are connecting to?

MMMatt

Joined Jun 25, 2014
Pencil I am not sure how to answer that. The open collector has a + and a - output. As far as the circuit goes from the outputs back into the board IIRC the mfg said there was a opto-isolator. When you are asking for pin number are you looking at my diagram?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
If you have the minus side of the power supply to the collector than what is the emitter connected to? :confused: The power supply minus side should go to the emitter not the collector. And add the diode across the relay coil as suggested.

MrCarlos

Joined Jan 2, 2010
Hello MMMatt

Please, Take a picture with your web cam of what you call "The open collector has a + and a - output" and upload it here.
Let us see what it is.

MMMatt

Joined Jun 25, 2014
Please forgive my ignorance. I do not know what a emitter is other than the logic of it and where in franksville it is located. Would these simply be going to a ground on the board?

MMMatt

Joined Jun 25, 2014
Here is the cable and the schematic wiring it into their board. All I am trying to do is get a contact closure without frying anything. This should explain the +/- open collector info

Attachments

Last edited: