open collector output split

by_ron1

Joined May 27, 2015
I want to split the signal coming out of an open collector transistor output.
My understanding is that the sensor will pull down to 1.0V with a 10K Ohm pull up resistor
As simple as putting a 5K Ohm pull up resistance ?
Thoughts ?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I want to split the signal coming out of an open collector transistor output.
My understanding is that the sensor will pull down to 1.0V with a 10K Ohm pull up resistor
As simple as putting a 5K Ohm pull up resistance ?
Thoughts ?
The concept you are describing sounds like nonsense. You don't "split" logic signals, but you can drive multiple loads. The pullup for an open collector (open drain) has an upper limit and a lower limit. Check out the following article.
http://www.ti.com/lit/an/slva485/slva485.pdf
You could have eliminated the ambiguity with a schematic.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
When you say "split", what do you mean? Do you want to send an identical signal to two different locations, or do you want to divide its amplitude in half?

Think.....then write.

ak

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
I want to send identical signal to two locations (tow displays)
We're not mind readers!

It could be as simple as connecting the loads in parallel, they may need to be diode-or'ed or you may need to separately buffer the 2 signal paths.

Without a bit of detail there's just no way to tell.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Gates and other logic devices have specified output current capabilities. If this is not ECL or some other structure where there should be only one load per output, or very high speed where characteristic impedance mismatches cause reflections, then you probably can drive two destinations with one source just by hooking them up. If this is all on one pc board with a ground plane, that's all it takes. If the connections are over wires, be sure to have one ground return wire per signal wire.

ak