Opamp Question

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
I am working a constant current electronic load .. I was wondering if I could take one of the opamp and take the input and put it across a power resistor ( 1Ω 50 watt) and use it to measure the current in volts but to trigger high at say 3amp to a relay to shut everything down ?????

Thanks
Jason SR

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
I am working a constant current electronic load .. I was wondering if I could take one of the opamp and take the input and put it across a power resistor ( 1Ω 50 watt) and use it to measure the current in volts but to trigger high at say 3amp to a relay to shut everything down ?????
If the voltage is DC, then yes. You could use a comparator or op amp used as a comparator with a reference voltage of 3V to indicate the shut-down point.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Here a schematic
This comparator will only tell you if the current in the sense resistor is positive or negative.

You want a differential amplifier followed by a comparator (and, yes, they can be combined into one opamp circuit, but it is generally better to break up your functions into well defined blocks).

tubeguy

Joined Nov 3, 2012
With an op-amp/comparator circuit you can use an even lower value, and therefore lower wattage sense resistor. Also, less voltage drop occurs for a given current through the sense resistor.