op-amp pin disconnects??? do they exist?

NeuroGrad

Joined Jan 25, 2013
Hey Guys. I have a question about connectors and op-amps. Are there connectors that are made to allow for a solder-free connection between a 1mm op-amp pin and a 12 gauge wire? Trying to solder 12 gauge wire onto these tiny pins is a real challenge, especially when attempting to trouble shoot. The op-amp I am using is an OPA549t. I can't use a breadboard because the amplifier circuit will be set up such that the op-amp outputs 8A of current. I really pray there is some sort of quick-disconnect/connector out there designed for this specific purpose (something like this, but made for an op-amp, would be ideal: http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/3M-Female-Disconnect-4X315?Pid=search). Can someone give me an idea where I can find this sort of item for my op-amp pins? I really hope it exists... :(

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Use a PC Board, wire size to current ability is a function of distance, material, and current, in addition to the actual wire size.

Look at a 10 amp fuse, the actual conductor inside is very small. This is due to the short distance it travels, so that at the break current, the wire meets the overload, but carries all lower currents fine.

Similar concept with mounting to a PC Board, the current is going in and out of the pins on the package, which lead to much smaller bonding wires inside the package to the die of the op amp itself. As long as you go from a circuit board a short distance to a heavier gauge wire (needed to go a distance), there won't be an appreciable voltage drop.

Laying a bit of bus wire over a track on a pre-made prototype board will greatly increase the current handling ability. You can get these boards at Radio Shack, just make sure you get the type that have the copper plated holes on one side, and that at least 2 or 3 holes are linked together so you have 1 to connect the IC, and room to connect your wire.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
For a breadboard you can just solder a short, smaller wire (say 20AWG) to a solder terminal. Then solder your larger wire to the terminal also.