op amp ic gets HOT when input leads are floating

tpny

Joined May 6, 2012
Hi I'm using TL074 op amp and supplying +/-12V to V+/V- pins repectively. When the input pins are unconnected and just the power supplies are connected the IC gets really hot! So I measure the floating input and output pins to discover one of the output pins meaures -12V while floating.

The IC is cooled when I connect a sensor to the input pins. This is the normal condition but I still can't allow that the ic run super hot when the sensor is not plugged in.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Attachments

wmodavis

Joined Oct 23, 2010
It is not a good idea to leave inputs unconnected or floating because it can allow feedback via the high impedance inputs resulting in the op-amp oscillating. In that case it could overheat. When it is doing that an oscilloscope connected to the output pin would confirm if it is oscillating. Do you have the + & - V pins well bypassed? If not that could also allow this behavior.

tpny

Joined May 6, 2012
hi, attached is schematics. of the 4 op amps in the quad tl074: 2 are 5x non-inverting amplifier; 1 is follower; 1 is unused. When no signal inputs are connected to this tl074, the ic heats up.

Yes I agree with your assessments, so how do I "bypass" the input pins or otherwise deal with the unused pins? THank you!!

wmodavis

Joined Oct 23, 2010
so how do I "bypass" the input pins or otherwise deal with the unused pins? THank you!!
Unused inputs should likely be grounded not bypassed. The power supply pins should be bypassed using a high frequency capacitors such as a disc ceramic.

YokoTsuno

Joined Jan 1, 2013
Even the unused Opamp can show weird behavior if you're unlucky. You may want to connect the output to the inverting input (Gain = 1) and ground the non-inverting input.

EDIT: Just noticed the above post. The resistors at the + input are not really required since your power supply is symmetrical. Grounding is sufficient.

Last edited:

tpny

Joined May 6, 2012
Yes, I tied unused 4th channel opamp to ground but it still heats up. I think because my other 3 channels are configured as non-inverting amplifiers and there's nothing between the opamp's input+ and signal source - when the signal source is removed (input+ is floating) the ic goes into "oscillation" or what not.. How do I remedy this? Thanks! I think this might be a common non-inverting op amp problem?

YokoTsuno

Joined Jan 1, 2013
Try grounding (for testing) the used inputs, one by one, to isolate the culprit(s) and see if the heat-up stops.

It helps if you have an oscilloscope.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
You remind me of the old joke. Guy says "Doctor, my arm hurts when I hold it like this" Doctor says "Then don't hold it like that!"

Don't leave you inputs floating.

tpny

Joined May 6, 2012
Inputs come from sensors which are plug-ins. Yes, if it was up to me I'd keep them plugged in all the time. But it's conceivable that the user might unplug the sensor in which case the parts inside can't be heating up by design..

If floating non-inverting inputs have a tendency to cause oscillation, which leads me to think: why use non-inverting in favor of inverting configuration? Or is there a way to remedy this without too much hassle? Thank you!

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
How about adding some high value resistor from the inputs to ground? I have no idea what your sensors are, but for example 1meg resistors shouldn´t alter your readings by much.

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
Hi Ron, yes op amp outputs to adc. Adc is 5V. Please see attached schematic. Thank you!
So you have op amps that can swing ±10V, feeding ADCs running off 5V? What could go wrong there?:eek:

You need to protect your op amps and your ADCs from overvoltage and overcurrent. Almost all ICs have intrinsic diodes from the inputs to the supply rails. These diodes will conduct if the input voltage exceeds the rails, causing possible damage to your ADC and/or your op amp. See the attachment from the datasheet.
Are you sure your op amp goes to -12V? TL074 won't swing to the rails. -10 or -11V, maybe? If it's one that is connected to the ADC, then the ADC may be toast.

Attachments

tpny

Joined May 6, 2012
yes that would be a problem, however I do have a diode pair at each adc input channel to protect from over-voltage as indicates in the schematic.

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
If the user want to unplug the Sensor, you can suggests him to use as 3 pins headphone jack, when the sensor is plug in the jack, then the false load(resistor) will be opened, and the false load(resistor) will be replacing the position of sensor when the sensior is unplug.

You may using 100K~1M to try the false load(resistor).