Op-amp help (adding two waveforms)

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Clive80, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Clive80

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 23, 2011
    Sorry for the mass posting tonight but I’m stuck on a problem and wondered if anyone on here could help.
    I’m trying to add a positive and negative offset to a triangle wave by adding it to a square wave through a 741 op-amp, the problem is the offset is not constant and the triangle waveform slowly drops. See attached jpeg.
    Am I doing something wrong of is there a better way of doing this rather than using a summing op-amp?
    Also please see my other post in the projects forum regarding control of a H-Bridge to achieve an AC PWM or modified sine wave output.
    Thanks

2. t_n_k

AAC Fanatic!

Mar 6, 2009
    It's hard to answer without your circuit schematic.

3. Clive80

Dec 23, 2011
    Just a basic op-amp supplied by two signal generators via a couple of resistors.

See attached

4. t_n_k

AAC Fanatic!

Mar 6, 2009
    As you suggest its a pretty basic circuit. Must be something wrong with the simulation setup.

5. Ron H

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 14, 2005
    If you are probing with a 10X probe, it looks like the probe compensation is screwed up.

EDIT: AC coupling could also do it, but I don't think you would see that much droop at 5ms/div.

EDIT: I thought your scope picture was of an actual circuit. Apparently it is a simulation?

EDIT: Your schematic shows that both inputs are coming from the triangle outputs of the generators.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  6. Clive80

Dec 23, 2011
    Thanks for your replies.

Ron H

The signal generators are set up correctly, the leads are connected to the positive terminal.
    I can measure both waveforms independantly with the scope before the op-amp.

The circuit is a simulation in multisim (pspice).

Any further thoughts world be welcome.

Thanks

7. Ron H

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 14, 2005
    OK, I was interpreting the function generator icon incorrectly.
    Are you overdriving the op amp? Its output is limited to less than ±20V by the power supply rails.

8. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    The frequency response of a 741 is worse than whale turds at low tide. It is pretty much done by the the time you get to 9 kHz. or so.