Op-Amp Compensation

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by CraigHoughton, Jan 23, 2009.

1. CraigHoughton

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Hi all,

Why after adding external compensation to an op-amp, do the internal lag networks stop contributing to attenuation? I understand that the compensating network's attenuation is designed to level off near the first internal lag network's critcal frequency, such that the -20dB/dec will then be handled by the latter, but why when surpassing the second lag networks critical frequency does the roll-off rate not just become -40dB/dec since the compensating network is no longer affecting the gain?

Also, if the compensating network really just pushes the bode plot to the left, we're not gaining anything are we? (Other than reducing bandwidth?)

One more quick question. Can I assume that all the bode plots of op-amp frequency response are drawn with straight lines for educational purposes only? That is, the gain is not at 100% until (fc1) at which point it takes a sharp angle and starts rolling off at -20dB/dec, and then again at (fc2) at -40dB/dec, etc... right?

I could not find one iota of information related to these topics online or elsewhere, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  2. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

What kind of opamp are you talking about ?
    Many opamps do not have the possibility.

Greetings,
    Bertus

3. italo

Nov 20, 2005
    HI gain amplifier will oscillate at hi gain unless it is gently roll -off when crossing 0 DB. by ADDING COMPENSATION IT BECOMES FLTTER AT HOSE POINTS.

4. Audioguru

Dec 20, 2007
    Opamps have used internal compensation for 40 years or more. What year are you talking about? Which very old opamp?

An old uncompensated opamp will oscillate when negative feedback makes its gain to be low, not high.

5. Ron H

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 14, 2005
  6. CraigHoughton

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 23, 2009
    (As a note: ) Op-amps are available with or without internal compensation. The reason why op-amps are still available without comp is so that the user can add just enough external compensation to achieve the gain desired without sacrificing anymore bandwidth than neccesary.

I greatly appreciate your responses, however I'm still open to more suggestions.

7. Ron H

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 14, 2005
    After reading about phase margin, what are you stuck on?
    You are correct about the straight lines in Bode plots. It makes them easier to draw, and easier to see where the actual corner frequencies are.