Op amp circuit help #2

notoriusjt2

Joined Feb 4, 2010

this is the first question I have received that does not state "Assume that all op amps are ideal". Should I assume that in this situation or is this all together different?

steinar96

Joined Apr 18, 2009
I think you can safely assume it's ideal. Otherwise you would be given parameters which make it non-ideal such as input and output resistances, open loop gain. Etc

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Greetings norotiusjt2,

What answer did you come up with? Be sure to show us your work so that we can determine any errors that you make.

hgmjr

notoriusjt2

Joined Feb 4, 2010
I am coming up with answer (D) Vo = 4*Vin

Say we had 10V @ Vin. that would mean that +5V would have to be at +/- op amp terminals.

Since that network of resistors are all the same value (R), and based on their configuration they would basically divide the output voltage of the op amp by 4, effectively giving us 5V back at the - terminal on the op amp itself.

This is only true if Vo = 4 * Vin... hence the answer

am I correct in my reasoning?

notoriusjt2

Joined Feb 4, 2010
How did you arrive at that conclusion? I would think that for an ideal op-amp the voltage across the input +/- terminals would be 0V.
thats correct...

for example if you put a voltmeter across the + and - of the op amp you would get 0V.

but if you put a voltmeter from + to ground or from - to ground you would have 5V

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
In post #4, you used 10V as the input. In post #6, you say that the op amp +input will be 5V. Which is it?

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
Hi notoriusjt2,

You seem to be confusing input voltage with the op-amp supply voltage.

In this case the op-amp supply voltage is not stated as it is irrelevant for the purposes of solving the problem.

If the op-amp were capable of running from either a single or dual polarity supply the outcome would be the same for this problem.

notoriusjt2

Joined Feb 4, 2010
Hi notoriusjt2,

You seem to be confusing input voltage with the op-amp supply voltage.

In this case the op-amp supply voltage is not stated as it is irrelevant for the purposes of solving the problem.

If the op-amp were capable of running from either a single or dual polarity supply the outcome would be the same for this problem.
I understand... I was just assigning an arbitrary value for Vin for the sake of demonstration.

notoriusjt2

Joined Feb 4, 2010
allright

if
node1 = 1V
then
node2 = 1V

now that I look at it, node3 and node4 are the same point
and node6 and node2 are also the same point

in order for this to work correctly
node4 would have to be 4V
node5 would be 2V
node6 = node2 = 1V

no?

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
i see.... how did you calculate those voltages @ the resistors?
I started with these facts:

1. The voltages at the op amp inputs are equal.
2. The op amp input current is zero.

Then I just used Ohm's law to find the currents in the resistors, and the voltage across each resistor. Do you see the currents that I added to the schematic?