op amp circuit analysis help

notoriusjt2

Joined Feb 4, 2010

im not looking for someone to give me the answer here

but what is the simplest way to analyze this circuit. what steps should i take to solve this problem?

i assume V1=9V and V3(bottom left)=5V

how do i calculate voltage drops across those resistors without a current value?

Engr

Joined Mar 17, 2010
I think the best way to solve the circuit is to use the nodal analysis. There is no given current in the circuit but the current in the circuit can be solve.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Ideally Einv = Eni

So that means that the voltage of the + and - of each op amp are equal. So the voltage at V3 = 5v
Due to the poor image readability, I am not sure which node is labeled V3 on the diagram.

You can begin by determining what voltage is present on the negative input of the opamp in the upper right position.

You then know what the positive input of the opamp in the upper right position should be.

You know what voltage is present at the output of the opamp in the lower left position. From that you should be able to determine the voltage that you need at the output of the opamp in the lower right position.

Once you know the output voltage needed at the output of the opamp in the lower right position you should be able to determine what the output of the opamp in the upper right position needs to be. That will be your answer.

hgmjr

Here's a very good intro to op-amps ....

As for circuit solving ... following the golden rules in the above file .... V1 and V2 are 9V and 5V respectively ( o/p makes itself so that V diff at i/p is zero, it will be zero when the inv pin has the same volts as the non inv pins ... hence the answer)

A3 inv pin has 4.5V, voltage across 10K A4's FB res is the same as the voltage across the 30K ... which is as you might have guessed V3 (since the junction of A4's 10k and 30k is at 0V due to the non inv being at 0V)

so now it all boils down to what V are at A3 non-inv since if the diff btw A3's i/p is >0 V3 shoots to +ve rail (12V i suppose) if the diff is < 0V V3 goes to the -ve rail (-12V?)

so what is the voltage at the A3's non inv i/p ... that is what i cant figure out either and call on to help ......

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
As you mentioned, the -input of A3 is at 4.5V. Feedback through A4 makes the +input of A3 also equal 4.5V. Since we know V2, we can calculate V4. Once we know V4, we can calculate V3.

eblc1388

Joined Nov 28, 2008
You have many of them wrong.

1. G=0 wrong
2. V=9V
3. G=0 wrong
4. V=5
5. V=4.5V
6. V=2.5V wrong
7. i=0.5mA wrong
8. V=0V wrong
9. how do i find this one?

You need reasoning (not calculation) based on ideal Opamp model for answer to item 6 and 7.

You also have to re-read the gain definition of common opamp configuration. Hint: gain G can be positive or negative and higher or lower than 1.

Last edited: