Only in FL, OMG

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by maxpower097, Mar 7, 2013.

1. maxpower097

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
  2. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    Actually it happens everywhere. Some people are just plain desperate.

3. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    Its rare here. I always here about the thaw of dead homeless people in spring up north.

4. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    Not the first time I've heard of this. I've heard tell of guys doing serious time just to get off the streets.

A wise man once told me: "There is a seat for every ass."

I live up north. That doesn't actually happen here. Urban legend.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  5. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    I crewed as a volunteer on the Brig Niagara. The have a small professional crew (ABs - Able Bodied Seamen) and depend on volunteers and even the passengers though only ABs and volunteers go aloft. Also volunteers work the deck, do brig checks, steer and stand watch.

There was one permanent volunteer that was otherwise homeless. I crewed when the ship was in port so the crew was ashore at the crew quarters so we had the whole ship to ourselves but while on tour, you have to sleep in a hammock and all your personal gear needs to fit in a very small duffel. So this guy did not have a very comfortable life but he did have a dry place to sleep and had some really decent food that we ate with the crew. Smart guy. If I ever became homeless I think that I would follow his example if I was able.

6. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    This sounds just like a bit Red Skelton did once as Freddie the Freeloader. In the bit, he told his friend that prison is the best place to be during the holidays because you get three square meals a day, a shelter, a bed, and a bathroom. Much better than living on the streets. So he would go around doing things to try to get in trouble--smashing store front windows with bricks, stealing diamond jewelry, eating at fancy restaurants and then not paying, but everything kept backfiring on him.

Guess I never realized how much that was based on real life....

7. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    I'd turn to crime before I went homeless. Why do the time and not the crime? I just thought the article was weird cause the judge helped him and was in on it.