One wire a/c power

pafrazier

Joined Jun 4, 2011
Hi All,

Please see block diagram. I have been working on some technology and want to know if this has any merit.

The device harvests a/c power either wirelessly or with one wire.

Anyone care to comment.

Thanks

Attachments

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
Its also a fail with the diagram- it could be quite anything.

Maybe you talk about tapping mains capacitively? Sure you can wind a wire around a cable and light up a LED...
Normally you cant harvest leakage currents properly.

I think nobody has a clue what do you mean with metal lamp.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I almost suspect the OP intends or thinks that maybe connecting to one side of a AC service he may have a way of 'Harvesting' power at no cost or undetected??
Max.

pafrazier

Joined Jun 4, 2011
and what is this device? Could be anything.
Hi Takao,

I am trying to determine if this is a normal occurrence. I have metal lamp that I just attached an electrical lead to and connected it to the device. Across the device it registers an a/c voltage between 2-3 volts. I suppose it is picking up a/c off the lamp. The device will also register an a/c voltage if it is located in the proximity to the lamp as well. Does that sound normal?

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
Hi Takao,

I am trying to determine if this is a normal occurrence. I have metal lamp that I just attached an electrical lead to and connected it to the device. Across the device it registers an a/c voltage between 2-3 volts. I suppose it is picking up a/c off the lamp. The device will also register an a/c voltage if it is located in the proximity to the lamp as well. Does that sound normal?
"The Device". Awesome.

As I said, leakage current with negible strength, and its not free energy. And as I said, you can wind a wire around a cable to light up a LED a little, effectively a capacitor tap (I dont really want to call it a power supply, or LED to mains).

You can get 1mA or so at 2 volts.

pafrazier

Joined Jun 4, 2011
"The Device". Awesome.

As I said, leakage current with negible strength, and its not free energy. And as I said, you can wind a wire around a cable to light up a LED a little, effectively a capacitor tap (I dont really want to call it a power supply, or LED to mains).

You can get 1mA or so at 2 volts.
Hi,

Thanks for your time in considering this.

Is the capacitor cap inductive in nature?

Thx

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The device will also register an a/c voltage if it is located in the proximity to the lamp as well. Does that sound normal?
Have you ever grasped the input lead of an oscilloscope with nothing else connected?
You will see a considerable 50Hz or 60Hz waveform displayed, the capacitive and/or inductive effect in the presence of a AC service can easily be detected.
Max.

pafrazier

Joined Jun 4, 2011
Have you ever grasped the input lead of an oscilloscope with nothing else connected?
You will see a considerable 50Hz or 60Hz waveform displayed, the capacitive and/or inductive effect in the presence of a AC service can easily be detected.
Max.

Hi Max,

Thanks for commenting. So it is a normal occurrence I take it. I realize main power is not free energy. Hypothetically speaking if you were able to power something from one wire of the a/c current would that be considered a load on the a/c power line? I am not trying to devise some scheme to steal power from the power company.