One second time base

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by jgessling, Dec 3, 2009.

1. jgessling

Thread Starter Active Member

Jul 31, 2009
    My ttl clock is gotten to the point where I need to get an accurate one second pulse to clock the 74s390 counter. I have been using a 74124 VCO and it works fine for testing but I think it's not too accurate. I ran into this idea of using a discarded clock.

http://www.josepino.com/?one_second_timebase

I got the parts and built a circuit (I used a different transistor than that author suggested) that can blink an LED. I can't figure out how to get this pulse to clock the 74s390. Hooking up from the e or c of the transistor to the 74s390 clock input doesn't do anything. One thing I noticed is that my circuit flashes the LED for a much shorter time than the 74124 did. Is that my problem? How can I connect the pulse to the counter input and how can I adjust it to work? Thanks.

• hz.PNG
      hz.PNG
      File size:
      23.1 KB
      Views:
  2. MikeML

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 2, 2009
    The cheapo clock guts with the watch crystal will be a lot better than an RC oscillator, but still could loose or gain a few seconds per day. Using the 50/60Hz power line driving a "zero-crossing detector" followed by counter is actually better than an untrimmed watch crystal.

Connect the clock input to your one-second counter to the collector of the NPN transistor. You might have to ditch the flashing LED, or parallel it with a 10KΩ resistor. The collector will be low (~0V) during the wired-or pulse from the motor outputs, and will be high (~5V) at other times. If you were to look at it with a scope, it would look like an inverted clock signal, but since your one second counter likely responds to positive-going edges, it will count just fine...

3. jgessling

Jul 31, 2009
    I hooked the emitter into a 7414 schmitt trigger input and then the output to the 74s390. Works great! Clocking away like a champ. I would never had known to even try that without this board. Working and I'm onto the next step, to get a 10 led bar graph to count up the seconds until the minute ticks over. Thanks All.

4. jgessling

Jul 31, 2009
    MikeML, I didn't want to use a 60hz reference from the mains because I have a 9V 500ma DC wall wart that I can feed through a 5v regulator to run the whole show. And this is a zero budget project that the rule is to use things I already have. I admit I cheated after I burned out the first clock mech I had and spent another dollar for the one I'm using. It's all about learning for me, and I find setting limits can help. Thanks for the suggestions, I am learning.

5. MikeML

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 2, 2009
    Add a diode in series with the 5V regulator upstream of the input filter capacitor. This will give you a 120Hz waveform. Feed that into your Schmitt trigger gate, and into a counter chain to get a divide by 120. Now you have a one second pulse that will be accurate to better than one second per month, year, 10 years, :D