one phase to 3 phase conversion!!

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by logicman112, Oct 5, 2010.

1. logicman112

Thread Starter Active Member

Dec 27, 2008
    How can i convert one phase electricity to 3 phase one? Is there any component available to do it?
    I want to make 120 degrees phase difference between voltages or currents...I can do it by an impedance i think but what it would be?

2. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    What are your voltage and current requirements? Have you searched on "phase converters?"

You can build or buy a phase converter or you can buy a VFD (variable frequency drive) that is powered by single phase and outputs 3 phase. Phase converters can be solid state or rotary. Rotary converters are quite easy to make. They are just a 3 phase motor that you get running using one or more capacitors. The other winding of the motor then generate the other phases.

Your power needs must be known before much more detailed information can be provided.

John

3. marshallf3

Jul 26, 2010
    VFD would be the way to go nowadays, those older motor type phase converters are pretty expensive unless you can find one used or surplus which may be easier than you think.

4. logicman112

Dec 27, 2008
    I do not want to deal with phase converters with motors...
    I want to drive an AC synchronous motor which needs AC currents with 120 degrees phase difference supposed that we have only a one-phase 220/110 volt AC regular home power.
    I wonder if any type of transformer can do it?
    (like Scott-T which converts two to three phase and vice versa....)

5. awright

Jul 5, 2006
    Someone trying to be helpful made a clear request for your voltage and current requirements and you ignored his request. "I want to drive a synchronous motor..." doesn't tell us much.

He asked if you had performed a search on "phase converters." You also ignored that suggestion.

He and another respondant suggested that a VFD might be a good approach. You ignored that suggestion (one that I happen to agree with).

How about responding to their efforts to help you with a little common courtesy?

6. logicman112

Dec 27, 2008
    Just ignore their suggestions:
    I asked you another question:
    Is there any transformer to do the job?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  7. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
  8. marshallf3

Jul 26, 2010
    It's common to use 480Y to 120/240 single phase transformers around industrial shops, unsure how well one would work hooked in reverse though.

9. Hagen

May 8, 2010
    In Southern Alberta where I live, phase converters are very commonly used in the agricultural field to run 3 phase motors on single phase power. I work in a shop that repairs and rebuilds these devices. Both the rotary and static versions of these can be used to run 3 phase motors, but the output of these devices is very far from what could be described as 3phase...the phase angles are not even close to 120 degrees separation, and line to line voltage varies with load. Also, no transformer will deliver 3 phase output from single phase input. A previous respondant mentioned using a VFD, and this may be the best answer.

A syncronous motor? Does it have a wound rotor with slip rings? What is the application? Just curious?

10. oreos40

Oct 19, 2010
    The scott t setup is from 2 phase power where the legs are only 90 degrees apart not typical single phase where the "phases" are 180 degrees apart.

11. timrobbins

Aug 29, 2009
    Logicman,

Is there any component available to do it? Output = 0
    I can do it by an impedance i think but what it would be? Output = 0
    I wonder if any type of transformer can do it? Output = 0
    Is there any transformer to do the job? Output = 0

You need a two stage converter product - the last stage is a 3ph inverter - a number of products available, eg. for SWER distribution systems. Output = 1

Ciao, Tim