One man's treasure is another man's trash

Rolland B. Heiss

Joined Feb 4, 2015
Not that the old black and white 9 inch tv I have kept for so many years is trash but one man in my area is looking for a 9 inch black and white CRT monitor to replace the one that went out on his BEAR Engine Analyzer. He will be meeting up with me tomorrow at my workplace in order to ascertain whether or not the TV I have contains the correct sized CRT for his replacement project. In all honesty I love that old TV and sort of hate to part with it and think of it being parted out but I know it will be for a good cause and actually get some use since I mainly keep the set around for sentimental reasons. I suppose this new post of mine ties in with one I posted a bit earlier in a certain sense. As a matter of fact, the reason I held on to that TV so long could be because someone was going to come along in the future and need something from it in order to keep another electronic device from the trash heap. I suppose I'm waxing a bit philosophical here but that's how I tend to look at things more often than not. Anyway, I'm curious as to how one would attach a CRT from a TV to something like a BEAR Engine Analyzer or some other such unit like an oscilloscope? Any links showing me how this is done would be appreciated. Is it as simple as following the wires from the burned out CRT and connecting them in kind to the new (old) CRT? What if the wires are different color wise? At any rate, (hopefully this is allowed) based upon the title of this post I'd like to share a link to a song I like very much as it relates to how one man sees something and how another man might see things in a different way:

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Not that the old black and white 9 inch tv I have kept for so many years is trash but one man in my area is looking for a 9 inch black and white CRT monitor to replace the one that went out on his BEAR Engine Analyzer. He will be meeting up with me tomorrow at my workplace in order to ascertain whether or not the TV I have contains the correct sized CRT for his replacement project. In all honesty I love that old TV and sort of hate to part with it and think of it being parted out but I know it will be for a good cause and actually get some use since I mainly keep the set around for sentimental reasons. I suppose this new post of mine ties in with one I posted a bit earlier in a certain sense. As a matter of fact, the reason I held on to that TV so long could be because someone was going to come along in the future and need something from it in order to keep another electronic device from the trash heap. I suppose I'm waxing a bit philosophical here but that's how I tend to look at things more often than not. Anyway, I'm curious as to how one would attach a CRT from a TV to something like a BEAR Engine Analyzer or some other such unit like an oscilloscope? Any links showing me how this is done would be appreciated. Is it as simple as following the wires from the burned out CRT and connecting them in kind to the new (old) CRT? What if the wires are different color wise? At any rate, (hopefully this is allowed) based upon the title of this post I'd like to share a link to a song I like very much as it relates to how one man sees something and how another man might see things in a different way:
If by 'CRT' you are referring to the tube itself then the 'angle of deflection' & neck dimensions will be the most important considerations (of course one could use the TVs yoke, however matching same to the analyzer's monitor circuit could be 'challenging')... If, on the other hand, you refer to the monitor as a whole, the nature of the signal is paramount --- i.e. to use the TV you will need to 'translate' the engine analyzer's output signal to NTSC or PAL (dependent upon the TV's video circuitry) Generally speaking, (pre 'digital era') receivers designed for sale in the US=NTSC whereas those intended for the Western European market =PAL

Best regards
HP

Last edited:

Rolland B. Heiss

Joined Feb 4, 2015
If by 'CRT' you are referring to the tube itself then the 'angle of deflection' & neck dimensions will be the most important considerations (of course one could the TVs yoke, however matching same to the analyzer's monitor circuit could be 'challenging')... If, on the other hand, you refer to the monitor as a whole, the nature of the signal is paramount --- i.e. to use the TV you will need to 'translate' the engine analyzer's output signal to NTSC or PAL (dependent upon the TV's video circuitry) Generally speaking, (pre 'digital era') receivers designed for sale in the US=NTSC whereas those intended for the Western European market =PAL

Best regards
HP
I didn't understand this part of your response which was most likely due to you thinking ahead as you typed and I do the same thing from time to time:

"of course one could the TVs yoke"

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
In an attempt to simplify this a little early televisions using a CRT used a "yoke" to control the horizontal and vertical deflection of the electron beam across the face of the CRT. You have seen them as copper coils of wire around the neck of the CRT.

CRT Yoke.png
While they vary from set to set they all look about the same and do the same thing in television sets.

The old Bear Engine Analyzers and similar engine analyzers like Sun that came out in the 60s used a CRT design similar to older analog CRT Oscilloscopes where the CRT contained horizontal and vertical deflection plates.

CRT Deflection Plates.png
So what we have is sort of an apple and an orange. Each CRT uses a different method or design to move the electron beam. The early Bear and Sun systems I worked with used the latter CRT with deflection plates verse the yoke coils. You may get lucky but I would not be too optimistic.

Ron

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
In an attempt to simplify this a little early televisions using a CRT used a "yoke" to control the horizontal and vertical deflection of the electron beam across the face of the CRT. You have seen them as copper coils of wire around the neck of the CRT.

View attachment 83349
While they vary from set to set they all look about the same and do the same thing in television sets.

The old Bear Engine Analyzers and similar engine analyzers like Sun that came out in the 60s used a CRT design similar to older analog CRT Oscilloscopes where the CRT contained horizontal and vertical deflection plates.

View attachment 83350
So what we have is sort of an apple and an orange. Each CRT uses a different method or design to move the electron beam. The early Bear and Sun systems I worked with used the latter CRT with deflection plates verse the yoke coils. You may get lucky but I would not be too optimistic.

Ron
Thus it seems the engine analyzer employs electrostatic deflection? While it is technically possible to modify the output stages of an electrostatic deflection system to drive deflection coils, such, IMO, is hardly worth the effort:(

A few thoughts:
First of all please make certain the CRT (i.e. the display tube itself) is the problem -- if so you can probably find a replacement (or a substitute within 'kludge-worthy' proximity) though the 'auspices' of eBay, etc...

If you wish to replace the monitor with the TV you're back to the signal 'translation' issue (assuming the analyzer implements a 'rasterized' as opposed to 'vector' display paradigm)

At this juncture I'm bound to say repair of the (equipped) monitor would seem (far and away) your best option --- and this with the added 'bonus' that you may retain your vintage TV receiver:)

Best regards and good luck!:D
HP

Last edited: