One law for us, one for them.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
That is a private enterprise. It does not make laws, as neither does the NCAA, NFL , and numerous other private entities. The gaming sponsor can require drug testing to participate, just as it might require an entrance fee. Note especially that governments have placed restrictions on those entities that do drug testing of employees or participants. Discussion of those details is well beyond the scope of your question.

John

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
In real life, it doesn't matter if you take performance enhancers or not, what matters is what you can actually do.

I suspect if a substance can be proven beneficial and without harmful side effects our military would jump on it on it in a heart beat for people putting their lives on the line. Sort of ultimate real life challenge, especially since just being in the military during war time is both mentally and physically damaging to many of the troops.

With sports, they wish to maintain an artificial purity. It has been shown time and time again that people will take substances that will ultimately damage their bodies and shorten their lives for a perceived gain in performance. Banning in that context makes sense, but I would not classify that as law.

Long term, I suspect there will be various mental enhancers, better than what we have now. I do not believe the educational system will give a hoot as long as it doesn't do the long term damage I've described, as they are much more about the real world than sports events.

It is worth noting that in older times, when politics was a bit more involved, that you could not be a "professional" athlete and play in the Olympics or other similar events. The ultimate hypocrisy that was ignored by many governments.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I am putting together an Open Class Games event. There will be no drug testing. It will be a test of what the human body can do. I want to see how much weight a human - completely modified by steroids, hormones and amphetamines - can lift. How far they can jump, how fast they can run. Now, that would announce the commitment citizens of each country make to their respective country to show world domination in each event.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
It's funny. Any game requires a set of rules that the interested parties agree to. It doesn't matter whether you're talking about the Olympics or a friendly game of cards. You can't play without agreement on the rules. Getting people to agree on lunch is hard enough, let alone a competition where money and fame are involved.

I got addicted to a stupid online game called CookieClicker. It's not really even a game, but addictive nevertheless. It's hilarious the arguments you can find online between the "purists" and the ones accused of being "cheaters" because they use strategies and tools to advance their scores. The purists reject such tools and tricks and ridicule the cheaters.

All of this controversy is over a game that resembles a screen saver, has no payoff, no winners or losers, and gives one no fame. Herding cats may be easier than herding humans.