one function generator but i want two signals

ninjaman

Joined May 18, 2013
hello,

I have one function generator, i want to get two signals. i thought that making some kind of basic circuit i could get two signals. is there some way of doing this or do i have to get another function generator.

thanks
simon

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
hello,

I have one function generator, i want to get two signals. i thought that making some kind of basic circuit i could get two signals. is there some way of doing this or do i have to get another function generator.

thanks
simon
It depends on the properties of the two signals. Can you be more specific?

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi,
This simple circuit will give a phase shift for sine waves for say Lissajous traces.
Tweak the values of C1 for different frequencies.
E

Attachments

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
If all you want to do is play with Lissajous figures on your scope, just use the power line (through a stepdown transformer, of course) as the second sine wave.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
You can use various gates , counters and flipflops to divide your signal generator into many frequencies. Low pass filters can smooth the squares. But one can never have enough generators.

The x-y vector mode is a great un-used tool, both for work and instruction. You will not regret studying this.
After getting familiar with the patterns, I highly recommend building an octopus.

Search google---oscilloscope octopus--- for many examples.

You can watch and adjust the phase angle in circuits, by watching the vectors. One can easily judge the quality of in circuit components (un-powered). You can easily see the gates, or should I say junctions of solid state devices. One can quickly evaluate the Q of a coil or cap.

They should use this when teaching vectors. It shows rotation.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
just two sine waves really. nothing special.
this video by w2aew shows the stuff i want to do.
Looks like all you need is a variable phase shifter, and maybe some amplification to cover losses.

I was wondering if Google is broken again.................

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Here's an interesting circuit for generating phase shifts.
It's an All-Pass filter which can generate phase shifts over a near 180° variation with no change in output amplitude for either adjusting the phase or changing the frequency.
At high frequencies, well above the corner frequency where the capacitor looks like a short, the phase shift is near 0° (the circuit looks like a follower).
At low frequencies, well below the corner frequency where the capacitor looks like an open, the phase shift is near 180° (the circuit looks like a gain of one inverter).

upload_2016-9-2_17-20-30.png

Attachments