On/Off switch problem

chris311

Joined Mar 15, 2009
Hello All,

I hope the answer to this question is as simple as the problem. I have a new 13.8 volt 3 amp power supply I have been using for several weeks now to power a device everyday for about 30 minutes (device is in appropriate range in terms of voltage and amperage). Yesterday, for no apparent reason, I went to turn on the power supply and the on/off switch was 'mushy' - it will not click on or off but stays in between, like it's been tripped. I disconnected it from the device and plugged it into a different, known to be working surge protected power strip and still nothing. The fuse is ok, and nothing else is available on the exterior to fiddle with.

I'm not too knowledgeable about the inner workings of the power supply so I haven't looked there yet. Am I overlooking a simple solution to 'untrip' this power supply? I called the manufacturer but they are closed til monday. Can anyone point me towards some possible solutions? Any help is much appreciated.

Best,
Chris

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Sounds like the switch wore out. Toggle switches wear out the pivots and make it impossible to move the contacts. A replacement rated for your line voltage and a few amps should make a good replacement - check first to see if it a single or double pole switch, though. Any hardware store should have one - unless it's a 1/4" toggle. Then you may need to go to Radio Shack or find one online.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
It sounds like the switch has given up the proverbial ghost.

Check the fuse to make certain it's rated correctly. Using a fuse that is rated incorrectly could allow too much current to flow through the switch if there was an internal fault or a high voltage transient on the input line.

If the fuse is rated correctly and is not "blown" (open), then the switch has failed mechanically (and electrically), and needs to be replaced.

chris311

Joined Mar 15, 2009
Thanks for the advice :D

I initially thought it might not be the actual switch b/c the power supply has hardly been used but it sounds like it probably is the switch. Hopefully the manufacturer will stand behind their product when I talk to them and since I have a warranty.