On, off LED circuit

heywood

Joined Dec 17, 2008
Hi, I'm trying to do something pretty basic, power a Green and a Red LED based on the state of a switch, on/closed or off/open. When the switch is closed, I'm also powering a relay coil. This is what I have come up with. I'm curious if there is an easier way to do this or with fewer components.

eblc1388

Joined Nov 28, 2008
I would say one has a 99.9% chance of success if the circuit is for low voltage(12V or less) relays. Most of them have coil resistance less than a few hundred ohms.

Furthermore, one could also use high intensity LEDs that take 1mA or less so the circuit will most definitely works.

However, I do agree it is a different story for special or high voltage relays that has high coil resistance.

heywood

Joined Dec 17, 2008
Thank you very much for the suggestions. The input to open and close the switch is actually a ground signal (floating=open) coming from an ECU so unfortunately I can't do too many clever things with switch.

I do think that the right side transistor can be deleted. I don't see why I can't power the relay + green LED directly from the signal line.

I need to study more the suggestion to chain the LEDs together. At first glance it would seem that the relay would always be powered but I guess I need to look at the math more closely. It's certainly a very simple solution.