Oldest working computer rebooted. (With Video)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by maxpower097, Nov 22, 2012.

1. maxpower097

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
  2. Sparky49

Jul 16, 2011
    You guys should really visit Bletchley Park if you visit the UK.

You would all find it very interesting, it was for me.

3. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    I knew it I knew computers were supposed to have a bunch of lights on the front. And not this garbage they have been selling me all these years. :)

Actually one of the first computers I used in the workplace was a TI 960B, it had a bunch of led on the front and a bunch of switches. The leds were for the data and address bus ans would blink as the computer worked.

To boot the compute, you had to key in a bootstrap with the switches, that would boot the card reader, which booted the computer and hard drive.

TO also had a computer that had a voice synthesizer. It would announce errors with voice commands. One error was "Shut er down Clancy, she's a pumpin sludge". Whn you looked the error up in the manual, it meant fatal error. TI got their start in the oil exploration business.

DerStrom8 likes this.
  4. JoeJester

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005
    I first worked with the Digital PDP-8/E ... bootstrapping programs and cassette tapes. Although I did work with HP's and Wang's computers, we "borrowed" a punch card machine to use to create the data stream. It was a scant 30 or so years ago.