Oldest tools on my workbench

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I purchased these tools about 37 years ago when I was 15 years olld. I can remember my father driving me from our hometown to a store about 20 miles away.

I was so excited. They have repair a lot of televisions and radios in my youth and PCs in my adult life.

The set is still is complete original with the exception of a missing stubby and a pair of cutters that my little brother broke years ago.

I was thinking I should replace the rollup case. Can you see why? :) It is hard to part with an old friend.

I was surprised to see the same kit is available and sells for $160! Adjusting for inflation I wonder if I paid that much way back when. I did not have a ton of money, I would be surprised to pay so much.

Attachments

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
I hope you gave your brother a charlie-horse for breaking your stub-nose pliers.

I think its about time you call him up and remind him of his dastardly deed with a link to where he can buy you a new set. ;)

That way, you can keep yours as is.. And pass it down when the time comes.

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
The Xcelite tools from that era were well-made. In the 70's I bought the Xcelite 99MP tool kit because it was capable of handling Bristol spline fasteners, which were used on a government project I was working on. I remember I paid $45 for it. I still have the kit and all the pieces; the only thing that has gone bad is the elastic on the band that holds everything together.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I hope you gave your brother a charlie-horse for breaking your stub-nose pliers.

I think its about time you call him up and remind him of his dastardly deed with a link to where he can buy you a new set. ;)

That way, you can keep yours as is.. And pass it down when the time comes.
I do not have the budget for that phone call to call an remind him of all pf the items of mine he broke while we were growing up. :) I guess it is why I always like fixing things. It was a matter of survival. :)

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Wow Kermit! That osc takes be back. I used one just like it back in high school. Way back when most electronics was tubes and transistors were the new fangled device. :)

Rbeckett

Joined Sep 3, 2010
The oldest thing on my work bench is me!!!! My Oscope is a 1965 Model Year Beckman though. It's old as dirt, but works better than the new stuff that have better specs even now. Old stuff just seems to work better, was made to last way back then, the new stuff is light and made to be replaced.
Bob

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
My oldest, and still a favorite is a little plastic "nut starter" that came with my first Heathkit, back in the late 50's. Each end has a shouldered recess that would hold the two sizes of nuts that they (and everyone else) used. Still makes starting small nuts easy. :)

Ken

Attachments