old VGA pin details (IDC type)

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by onlyvinod56, Jul 5, 2010.

1. onlyvinod56

Thread Starter Active Member

Oct 14, 2008
    hello all,
    My friend had an old P3 system which has no VGA port.
    On the mother board i found a set of 15 pins and it is written VGA1.
    From google i came to know that the set of pins is called IDC header.

I have a VGA male - male cable.
    i cut the one side of the cable and i want to solder this to the motherboard with an IDC female connector.

Now the problem is ... idont know how to count the pin numbers of the IDC header. i dont know which pin is the first pin and which is the second.....

i dont want the pin details...just tell me where to start counting...

2. BMorse

Sep 26, 2009
    Those will not be compatible with each other, IDC Video Headers do not have an RGB output needed for a VGA monitor, these types of connectors were designed for VESA connections.....

You can see the pinout here >> http://pinouts.ru/Video/VesaFeature_pinout.shtml

B. Morse

3. zxsa

Jun 11, 2010
    Usually the footprint of an IDC header will use a square pad for pin 1 and all other pads are round (pads are the bit of copper where the pins get soldered to).

You count IDC header pins like below:
    1 - 2
    3 - 4
    5- 6
    7 - 8
    9 - 10
    etc.

Ie one column is all the uneven pin numbers and the other column are all the even numbers.

I would not recommend soldering onto the motherboard. The motherboard's pads may be very sensitive and may be damaged if you try soldering it yourself. Instead you should be able to buy a connector that you can connect onto the existing header pins. You can get this at just about any electronics bits shop (like Maplin, Radioshack in the US, or try online companies like Farnell or RS).