Old-school telephone central office heterodyning

emceedub

Joined May 29, 2014
I'd like to recreate the voice channel pre-grouping typical of a phone company central office: taking separate voice bands (300-3400hz and upconverting to 12, 16 and 20khz carriers (as described here http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Communication_Systems/Frequency-Division_Multiplexing).

I'm looking for circuit diagrams and/or discrete components that accomplish this.

My goal is to do this analog with with no buffers and minimal latency)? I'm sure these used to be dime-a-dozen.

Any thoughts or guidance?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
That's not simple to do.

You need the following:

Three bandpass filters to limit the frequency range of your voice signals.

Three single-sideband modulators with the three carrier frequencies to generate the three signals and combine them together in one channel.

Three band-pass filters at the other end to separate the three signals

Three single-sideband demodulators to recover the modulation.

emceedub

Joined May 29, 2014
Yes, that's it exactly. At this point, I'm focusing on the first half: the upconversion.

Question is, are there existing diagrams or pre-packaged units ot there that do this?. There had to be multiple millions of these implemented across the globe 40-80 years ago.

That's not simple to do.

You need the following:

Three bandpass filters to limit the frequency range of your voice signals.

Three single-sideband modulators with the three carrier frequencies to generate the three signals and combine them together in one channel.

Three band-pass filters at the other end to separate the three signals

Three single-sideband demodulators to recover the modulation.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Good question. There may be diagrams of old units or old units for sale, but don't know how you would find them other than Google or other search engine.