Old razor vs New razor

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Gdrumm, May 28, 2013.

1. Gdrumm

Thread Starter Distinguished Member

Aug 29, 2008
    http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=50300&page=2

A look back at this old thread, and I'm still curious.
    My old razor ran on either AC or DC, no problem (until the batteries finally died, and I kept using it, with the wall-wart plugged in for another 2 years or so.

Now, my new razor runs only on DC, when unplugged.

What component(s) inside the old one made it more versitile?

Why don't manufactures make tools that operate on either AC or DC?

Gary :D

2. LDC3

Apr 27, 2013
    It may be just a simple switch that was added. The old razor worked from the batteries or from the AC supply charging the batteries. The batteries probably don't get much of a charge since the motor takes most of the power. The manufacturers of the new razor put the switch in (maybe for safety) so when there is AC power, the batteries are disconnected from the motor so they can charge. For safety, you cannot drop the razor in a sink of water with it running. Is this a dry/wet razor? If so, then the switch is to prevent you from using the AC line in the shower.

3. gerty

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 30, 2007
    Another reason for the switch, the transformer in the charging system probably cannot produce enough current to run the motor. To make up for the smaller transformer the charging times are probably longer. Without the switch, and if the transformer is too small, the motor would try to draw more current than the transformer can supply and would damage either one.

4. Gdrumm

Thread Starter Distinguished Member

Aug 29, 2008
    Thanks for the reply, makes sense
    Gary