old muilti meters

saltfly

Joined Mar 20, 2013
I’m old soooo naturally I don’t think old means bad:rolleyes:. Some times old things can be better then new. So to the point. I’m fixing a outboard motor for a friend, and needed a PRV. Meter. So not needing it very often. I built a D.V.A. adapter for my digital multi meter. But while looking through my garage, I found an old meter a friend bought at a flea market over 25 years ago. He couldn't get it to work so gave it to my. Back then I just put it on the shelf. It has sit there for this whole time. As I was looking for a few other things. I took another look at this meter. Even though it doesn’t say it’s a PRV it seems to have all the features. So not being the smartest pin in the box:eek:. I thought I would joint you gents here and ask if any one knows anything about this meter. Ok I know I got a little long winded, But that’s what us old guys do;). The meter is a B&K electronic multi meter model 290. Any one know this meter and if it is PRV capable?:D

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
What do you mean by "PRV"?

Removing acronyms may result in more responses.

Explain what you are trying to measure, there may be a more common name for the same thing.

saltfly

Joined Mar 20, 2013
To measure the output of the stator in a outboard motor as well as the power pack. You have to use a peak reading volt meter, or a D.V.A. meter. Since the output is a pulse, it can’t be read with a multi meter. I built an adapter with a capacitor to collect the pulses so a multi meter can read the voltage stored in the capacitor. Simply stated, right or wrong:rolleyes:. That’s the way my old brain sees it any way.:eek::D
But the point of this post is the old meter. I’ve fixed the motor by using the adapter with my multi meter.

Last edited:

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
A Fluke 87 will measure the frequency, amplitude, and duty cycle of the pulses. Saves lugging a scope around for working on projects like this one.

Here is the Owner's Manual for the B&K 290

The service manual with schematics is also available with a brief search on Google.

I did notice a Vp-p scale, or Peak to Peak voltage scale on the face, is that what you were looking for?