old muilti meters

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by saltfly, Mar 20, 2013.

1. saltfly

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    I’m old soooo naturally I don’t think old means bad:rolleyes:. Some times old things can be better then new. So to the point. I’m fixing a outboard motor for a friend, and needed a PRV. Meter. So not needing it very often. I built a D.V.A. adapter for my digital multi meter. But while looking through my garage, I found an old meter a friend bought at a flea market over 25 years ago. He couldn't get it to work so gave it to my. Back then I just put it on the shelf. It has sit there for this whole time. As I was looking for a few other things. I took another look at this meter. Even though it doesn’t say it’s a PRV it seems to have all the features. So not being the smartest pin in the box:eek:. I thought I would joint you gents here and ask if any one knows anything about this meter. Ok I know I got a little long winded, But that’s what us old guys do;). The meter is a B&K electronic multi meter model 290. Any one know this meter and if it is PRV capable?:D

2. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    What do you mean by "PRV"?

Removing acronyms may result in more responses.

Explain what you are trying to measure, there may be a more common name for the same thing.

3. bountyhunter

Sep 7, 2009
    Peak Reading Voltage?

4. saltfly

Mar 20, 2013
    To measure the output of the stator in a outboard motor as well as the power pack. You have to use a peak reading volt meter, or a D.V.A. meter. Since the output is a pulse, it can’t be read with a multi meter. I built an adapter with a capacitor to collect the pulses so a multi meter can read the voltage stored in the capacitor. Simply stated, right or wrong:rolleyes:. That’s the way my old brain sees it any way.:eek::D
    But the point of this post is the old meter. I’ve fixed the motor by using the adapter with my multi meter.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  5. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    A Fluke 87 will measure the frequency, amplitude, and duty cycle of the pulses. Saves lugging a scope around for working on projects like this one.

Here is the Owner's Manual for the B&K 290

The service manual with schematics is also available with a brief search on Google.

I did notice a Vp-p scale, or Peak to Peak voltage scale on the face, is that what you were looking for?

6. saltfly

Mar 20, 2013
    Well that will help, Its just what I‘m looking for. So thank you for the help.