Old Magazine Project, cant find right chip...

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by Detonator, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Detonator

Thread Starter Member

Mar 6, 2010
    Wasn't sure if to post this in the "projects" forum or here, but my first problem is the micro-controller, so shall start here. ;)

I am looking to build a DMX Tester just to be handy in my work, spent literally hours upon hours trying to find a design online that i could use. Really seems not many around that i could find, but found one that has all the features i want buts its from 2002 in Elektor Magazine. Heres the project page:

http://www.elektor.com/magazines/2002/june/portable-dmx-tester.55709.lynkx

Now my major issue is i cant seem to find a supplier that has that Atmel chip, its i assume an old model etc is it? Tried RS / Mouser / Farnell / Digikey and some local suppliers, all show zero stock and on calling both RS and Farnell locally they say its an old product.

So heres my question to you experts..... Is there a chip i can use? As a substitute at all, that will of course work with the same supplied HEX code as i have no idea at all about coding chips sadly. Or frankly any other suggestions on how i can build that Elektor project in 2011 ?

Thanks in advance all...

EDIT: Should have added of course, i have emailed Elektor and they say they don't do the chips anymore either blank or pre-programmed sadly..

2. Detonator

Thread Starter Member

Mar 6, 2010
    Probably should have added to save time clicking links, the chip is : AT90S8515

3. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    Do you have the code for this project? You may be able to port it to another chip. Elector did sell this chip pre programmed. But without any code it is hopeless to create this project. Even if you can get hold on the MCU

4. Detonator

Thread Starter Member

Mar 6, 2010
    I do yes, the code files are in the free ZIP file on the project page linked above. Having no idea about code sadly, not sure which files if all i would need to be honest? There are 5 files..

-8515def.inc
    -defio testeur.inc
    -LCD_1x16.inc
    -tester dmx.asm
    -tester dmx.hex

Now i programmed a few PICs before, and only ever needed HEX file, so what would all the other files be for? You have me concerned now, hope i not out my depth..

5. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    Well if you have the hex file. You can program the MCU. Given that you have have a Atmel programmer of course

6. Detonator

Thread Starter Member

Mar 6, 2010
    So, backtracking... are you suggesting there is a different newer chip i could use instead? As i already discussed i cant find the chip at all..?

7. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    I will guess so, or at least be able to port the asm code to some newer chip. BUT I have not used Atmel MCUs so other have to give you a precise answer

Detonator likes this.
  8. hgmjr

Jan 28, 2005
    What I believe you need to do is look at the Atmega8515 device. It is the updated version of the AT90S8515. I checked Digikey and they have the Atmega8515L which is in a 40-pin DIP packaged designed to operate at up to 8MHz.

hgmjr

9. eblc1388

Nov 28, 2008
    I can confirm that the ATMega8515L as suggested by hgmjr can be used to replaced the original MCU in the project.

The maximum clock speed for 8515L, however, is limited to 8MHz but the original project is using a 8MHz crystal anyway so there is no problem.

In addition, ATMEL the manufacturer is really helpful in that it has provided an user configurable option in the MCU fuse setting that let the Mega8515L to acts physically as a 90S8515. See below.

Therefore the HEX code(tester dmx.hex) in the ZIP file you have can be programmed directly into the Mega8515L without reassembling for the Mega8515L MCU.

During programming, select "Mega8515" as the target chip and remember to also program the "S8515C" configuration fuse too.

[​IMG]

ps. additional information on replacing AT90S8515 using Mega8515 can be found in AVR document AVR085.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
    Detonator and hgmjr like this.
  10. Detonator

Thread Starter Member

Mar 6, 2010
    Ah that's awesome, many thanks.. Ordered one right now :p