Old guy needs help with 12F629 program

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by okasional, Nov 10, 2013.

1. okasional

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 10, 2013
    I have a PIC12F629 program that has been doing an incredible job for years. But over time it has gone through a half-dozen revisions by a programmer (not me), accumulating some unused code along with the improvements. I am no longer in contact with the original programmer, but I do have source documentation for recent revisions. I need to update the code to delete major unused sections without disturbing the good stuff, and I want to convert from an externally supplied clock signal to a crystal. I have all the tools necessary for software development but am too rusty on PIC (and a little long in tooth) to do it all myself.

The only reason I can imagine someone might be willing to help me with this job is that the task performed by the software is so fascinating it's irresistible. Just give me a chance to send you a description of the project and, trust me, I guarantee you will find it so interesting, so useful, and so much fun you will be hooked on it and want to contribute. And I can supply you with hardware to run the program on, if necessary.

Contact me through the forum by email or private mail and I'll send you a package of information that will enable you to decide whether you want to help me. If I don't hear back from you within a couple of days I'll assume you're not interested. What have you got to lose?

2. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    Is the original code in Assembler or C?
    Max.

3. okasional

Nov 10, 2013
    Assembler. And fairly well commented I would say.

4. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    Wow, a secret project, wonky code written by multiple people (and in assembly!), work for no payment, and all from a member on his very first post.

What's not to like here?

5. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    A long line of sleazy clients have tried to entice me to work for nothing or next to nothing. Y'all can stick your interesting projects where the sun don't shine.

6. rogs

Aug 28, 2009
    No need for you to send the description to each of us separately.
    Just post it here on the board... then we can all see whether it's of interest or not.
    That's a much easier and quicker way of optimising your chances of finding some help, surely?.....

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  7. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    ...if it's so irresistible, what happened to the original software author?;)

8. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    If it was the crowning achievement of his career he probably doesn't want to spoil his perfect record.

9. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    He was so proud of his work he couldn't bear to remove the unused portions.

10. okasional

Nov 10, 2013
    If there's one thing I can recognize it's a forum dominated by bitter, smart a__ software designers more concerned with making a buck than helping someone in need. For you guys who haven't yet figured out that people don't join forums to find people to pay for help, I wish you lots of luck finding work. I'll look for a more professional forum and not bother you seeking "free advice" any more.

11. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    Do not be such a crybaby. If you had posted the code in question and asked for help. You would probably be done by now for free. This is an open forum. And all work done by the forum should be open to all members. It is that simple. Feel free to post your question in any other open forum. And you will get the same response as here.

rogs, Papabravo and tshuck like this.
  12. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    First off, you are aware this is an electronics forum - meaning most here are electrical designers, not so much software, though there is an occasional overlap...

Second, did anyone email you for more information on such an amazing opportunity that no one would want to pass up? Probably not. Why? Because you want help for free (that's what this forum is all about) and made others pursue something without knowing first what it is. Why would anyone want to put in an effort when you are being so secretive?

Hey, I have an opportunity for you to do something really fun and exciting - it's so great that I can't even mention it on the forum, but rest assured, you will want to participate, PM me for details and I will give you information about it that I didn't even come up with. Want to know what it does? Too bad, you might know after you message me!

Just about sums it up, eh?

13. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    If I was more concerned with helping someone in need over making a buck then I'd soon be broke and in need and would be looking for someone more concerned with helping someone in need over making a buck who would also soon be broke and looking for...

That's a classic death spiral.

Greed is good. Capitalism is the bomb.

14. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    I don't quite see the "bitter, dominant" part. I respond to some posts and ignore others. I suspect other members do the same. Answering questions, writing small code fragments, drawing small schematics, and doing simple simulations are things I am more than willing to do for free. Doing your work for you for free is an absolute non-starter. The world is full of people just like me, so get used to it and deal with it!

PS -- I do not need the forum for income producing opportunities, and I would be highly dubious of any that came my way as a result of my participation on the forum.

15. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    Agreed. However, I do see the "smart a**" portion as I was doing my level best to level this guy and his prayer for free work.

Just don't call me a "software designer" whatever that is. I design the circuits for which I write the code. Thus I am a digalog engineer.

Specialization is for insects.

16. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Well that freeloader didn't stick around for long.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
    Papabravo likes this.
  17. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    Good riddance!

18. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    I suspect the OP was one of those "smart" students fishing for some to do his/hers project work.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  19. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    Did you mean old "smart" students?

20. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    He said he was old, but well do we really know that is the the fact. On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog. Or old for that matter.
    [​IMG]