Old Celll Phone

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Yeti, Sep 8, 2005.

1. Yeti

Thread Starter Active Member

Jul 26, 2005
    I have an old cell phone that i would like to do something with. It is a Nokia model:5165. I dont think i can use the microprocessor from it as the pins are very small, i do thinki can use the LCD screen though.
    Any thoughts on what i can accomplish with this old phone?

Another thing i have is an old monitor. Its a 17" CRT the screen started to fade out every once in a while on it, so i decided it was time for anew one. I dont think i can repair it, but i could take it apart and salvage some parts maybe.

Thanks for input/suggestions
  2. mozikluv

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 22, 2004
    hi yeti,

before you can use the LCD you have to know what other devices you will need to make that LCD function.

as to your monitor, wires & cables would still have some use, trimmer resistors, heatsinks, power transistors and some disc capacitors.

3. Yeti

Thread Starter Active Member

Jul 26, 2005
    So do you mean i need to know what i m goin to use the LCD screen for or that there are physicall components that i need to make it work?

Just for experimentation, i have a circuit from last semester that has a binary counter and uses LED's to show the binary numbers. I would like to try and use the cell phone LCD to display the numbers instead of looking at the LED's.

Maybe i can find a digital camera and take some pictures(or find on net) of the LCD and maybe that can help with explanations.

PS. Is a trimer resistor same a regular resistor or potentemeter?

here is a Link that shows a very very similair phone: