Offputting noobies...

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
I may be guilty of scaring off some of the most lazy newbs with my unreasonable insistence that they actually do some thinking, reading, research or testing. Sometimes, when I'm in a particularly evil mood, I've been known to ask them to show me a schematic or picture of their (presumably nonexistent) work. :eek:

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I may be guilty of scaring off some of the most lazy newbs with my unreasonable insistence that they actually do some thinking, reading, research or testing. Sometimes, when I'm in a particularly evil mood, I've been known to ask them to show me a schematic or picture of their (presumably nonexistent) work. :eek:
You're a mean one, Mr Grinch :p

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Sometimes, when I'm in a particularly evil mood, I've been known to ask them to show me a schematic or picture of their (presumably nonexistent) work. :eek:
At the very least, to have a graphic reference for everyone in the thread, knowing what all the blah blah is about.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
What does get to me is when I give a reasonable answer or explanation to them and it either gets totally ignored or a bunch of well meaning halfwits over analyze the newbies question and run rampant overwhelming the thread with every remotely conceivable 'what if' concern or imaginable safety concern or potential plausible site TOS scenario breach they can think of even if none of it related to it was asked about by the newbee themselves.
Some of us halfwits aren't always able to immediately discern the OPs intent, background knowledge, skill set, available tools, project status, and astrological sign, so we ask questions in an effort to become fullerwits.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Some of us halfwits aren't always able to immediately discern the OPs intent, background knowledge, skill set, available tools, project status, and astrological sign, so we ask questions in an effort to become fullerwits.
I don't consider asking for more information a halfwit action.

What I do consider halfwit actions is going off on a non relevant tangent that has no rationally relevant ties to what the thread starter ever mentioned. That and going off the deep end over TOS rules that presently have nothing to do with the topics or circuitry so far disused.
As far as I know the only ones here who need to concern themselves with TOS breaches are the moderators and they do a pretty good job of giving a heads up without going off on multi post tangents before shutting things down.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
...That's all you got? You hit like a girl. :)
Based on your frail frame, yellow t-shirt and carefully framed and posed avatar photo, I assume you look up to most athletic women and your, "hit like a girl" comment was a complement. If not, you are either
a) a misogynistic ass
b) stuck in a 40-year time warp when comments like that were common, or
c) completely withdrawn from society as nobody has bothered to notice you or speak to you in the last 40 years and you just recycled the last thing a class-mate told you as you struck out in gym class on the last day of school - before you crawled into your mother's basement where you probably still live today.

Was that better? ;)

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Based on your frail frame, yellow t-shirt and carefully framed and posed avatar photo, I assume you look up to most athletic women and your, "hit like a girl" comment was a complement. If not, you are either
a) a misogynistic ass
b) stuck in a 40-year time warp when comments like that were common, or
c) completely withdrawn from society as nobody has bothered to notice you or speak to you in the last 40 years and you just recycled the last thing a class-mate told you as you struck out in gym class on the last day of school - before you crawled into your mother's basement where you probably still live today.

Was that better? ;)
dude, you have to be careful with insults hurled from behind a keyboard. Typing it in gives you the time put some real thought into it and construct a heart-piercing weapon. Who knows how Roderick will respond when he reads that carefully engineered assault? He may go upstairs and kill his mother, then himself; we all know how low his self esteem is already. I don't know if he can take such an accurate description of his life like that (option C - it's obvious A & B were just thrown in for entertainment).

Roderick Young

Joined Feb 22, 2015
Based on your frail frame, yellow t-shirt ...

Was that better? ;)
Now you're talking! That rivals the world-class masters of insensitivity that pop up here from time to time. Kudos.

But the most alarming part of it, and I say this without a winky, is that those other dudes are doing it in the normal course of posting.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Now you're talking! That rivals the world-class masters of insensitivity that pop up here from time to time. Kudos.

But the most alarming part of it, and I say this without a winky, is that those other dudes are doing it in the normal course of posting.
I'm taking reservations for my new insensitivity training seminar.

Last edited: