Offers to Write my Coursework

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
Hi all,

I have just noticed a leaflet pushed under my door, which is from a company offering to write coursework or dissertations for me - with a 20% discount!

Whilst I will certainly NOT be taking up the offer, I was wondering if anyone here knows if I should do anything about it? Should I report this company to the uni - there is someone clearly pushing leaflets under the doors of students in halls - or is it a case of they're doing nothing wrong by advertising it?

Regards

Sparky

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Hi all,

I have just noticed a leaflet pushed under my door, which is from a company offering to write coursework or dissertations for me - with a 20% discount!

Whilst I will certainly NOT be taking up the offer, I was wondering if anyone here knows if I should do anything about it? Should I report this company to the uni -
I would. That will help them weed out the students who are using it. They should be kicked out on their butts.

tindel

Joined Sep 16, 2012
What's it matter? Half of the kids coming out of EE school don't know how a transistor switch works anyway.

But yeah, I'd report them.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
What's it matter? Half of the kids coming out of EE school don't know how a transistor switch works anyway.

But yeah, I'd report them.
This is, in part, why people come out without knowing anything - they didn't have to struggle for it. They aren't passionate about the material and they take the easiest method of getting the grades and a piece of paper that means less and less by each student that cheats his/her way through school.

It needs to be reported. Otherwise, you are allowing another person to make your work less meaningful.

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
This is, in part, why people come out without knowing anything - they didn't have to struggle for it. They aren't passionate about the material and they take the easiest method of getting the grades and a piece of paper that means less and less by each student that cheats his/her way through school.
It's one of the reasons students graduate without knowing anything. The other is lazy incompetent teachers.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Report it!

The irony here is that there are other companies that take a copy of a report and run it against a database of similar reports to catch students that use such services or otherwise plagiarize

I wouldn't be surprised if the two types of companies are related (as in having common ownership)! ;)

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
I have seen this development for some time. Higher education has more or less become a "rat race". There almost every dirty trick in the book is allowed as the end justifies the means, and also every man for him self. Like some students will not hesitate to steal others students homework and send it in as their own work. Or pay other to do it. So I am not surprised at all. You should report it, but your uni do probably know about this.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
What's so surprising about it? Where there's a demand, there's a black market to cover it.

I have said it before: here in Greece, higher education is free. However, there are many private businesses with tutors doing prep classes for the university courses. You do these classes in parallel with the uni courses; the tutors follow the university curriculum.
Miraculously, most of the times, the tutors know exactly what questions will be in the final exams for many courses. Is it out of experience? Are the test papers intercepted in the trip from the prof's desk to the print-house to the class?

In short, there are students who not only are ok with paying very dearly for a course that is already free, but also have the solutions handed to them in the end.

Yes, the IEEE engineer's code of ethics is upheld alright.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
The shortcuts have always been present.

The professor is the guardian in these cases and if the university hasnt subscribed to a plagiarism service, then shame on them. That is a requisite in todays environment.

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
I forgot to take it in today -_-.

The uni has subscribed to anti plagiarism software - turnitin, but quite frankly it is rather remarkable at what it flags up.

My last work had a 16% plagiarism flag, apparently I had copied

"Hex"

"and [...] it"

As well as the axis of a graph (which was apparently copied from a paper on the growth of bacteria in microgravity).

It's better than nothing, but still annoying.

Agreed, it amazes me that people don't want to put the work into a degree they chose to take. Just today, for a group project, we turned up and I was the only person who had completed their target. I had to design the hardware, create footprints, design a pcb and simulate the analogue front end. They had to complete a flowchart of the program on the PIC, which hadn't progressed beyond four bubbles.

GRRRR.

:p:rolleyes::eek::confused::(

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Hi all,

But think about all the fishing you could do while other write up your homework. And after all they knock off 20%. As Loosewire would have said "go fish" and leave the boring work to others. You are young only once:p

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
When computerized grammar checkers were introduced about 30 years ago, I know someone who wanted all the reports generated by the staff to be graded by "Right Writer" software.

Some were very reluctant to use the software for fear their evaluations would suffer if their writing wasn't at the appropriate level.

My most recent experience using grammar software also met with resistance. Humans haven't changed that much in 30 years.

I do believe you should write to the level of your intended audience, so writing tools like grammer checkers and flesch reading scales become essential.