off Relay after 3 second Timer

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by aghaarash, Oct 13, 2011.

1. aghaarash

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 11, 2011
    Hi guys. I want a circuit for relay which can turn off the relay after 3 second and it doesn`t turn off the relay if we reset the circuit or what ever to fresh this 3 second. if no action take place in 3 second then it turns off the relay.

I really appreciate if some help me in this situation.
    Regards
    Arash

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Power must be off for 3 seconds before the relay turns off, Right? Relay "on" persist? Which relay? Volts, current, ohms of coil?

aghaarash likes this.
  3. maxthestork

Oct 13, 2011
    I think I can see a solution for your system using a 555 timer for the timing funcion and a latching relay like the Omron G6HK-2-DC5.

You would set the relay when you turn on the power with a one shot action like a push button or a one shot timer function (again from a 555).

A separate timing circuit from a 555 would handle the reset after 3 seconds. There is a section in the datasheet that describes a sequential timer on page 15 of the datasheet.

cheers
    Peter

aghaarash likes this.
  4. aghaarash

Oct 11, 2011
    dear peter

I need a circuit that start counting for 3 sec and if there is no action in 3 sec it turn off the relay but if any action take place in this time a timer restart and count again. but I dont think 555 can do this. if you think I am wrong please let me know.

Regards
    Arash

5. aghaarash

Oct 11, 2011
    I explain my situation again. it doesnt matter what is relay just a timer

6. KMoffett

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 19, 2007
    I think you need a "retriggerable monostable" flip-flop. What's "any action take place"?...a voltage change?...a switch closure?...??? Whether or not the circuit can directly drive a relay depends on the relay you are using. What voltage do you intend to use to power this circuit/relay?

Ken

7. aghaarash

Oct 11, 2011
    It can works with 12Volt and any action means : reset.

thanks

8. tracecom

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    Sounds like an easy job for a microcontroller such as the PICAXE 08M2 (less than $3.00). The programming software is free, but one needs a programming cable; a serial cable can be made, but a USB cable is about $30.

The AXE-021 is a project board that could be used; possibly the relay could be mounted on the board. http://www.phanderson.com/picaxe/

aghaarash likes this.
  9. KMoffett

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 19, 2007
    12V, OK. Reset how?...by what? It might be easier if you would explain what you are trying to do, not just a 3 second timing circuit.

Ken

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    This can be done very simply in analog IF you tell what the load is. The only way to keep a load powered for 3 seconds after the 12 volts is off, is to store enough energy to power the load for 3 seconds.

What load?

You don't say.

11. VoodooMojo

Nov 28, 2009
    dare it be as simple as this or am I misreading the OP's request?

[​IMG]
    or perhaps we are to sense a load applied or removed from an external circuit?

and how exact does the 3 seconds have to be?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011