Off-Delay Timer Issues

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by David_G, Sep 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David_G

Thread Starter New Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Need some help on an off delay fan controller i am building. Its for an electronic fan on a car. The goal was to have the fan run for 10 min after the vehicle is shut off, then break the circuit.

I drew up this schematic and built a working prototype, and it works perfect on the bench. 10 min +/- 10 sec. However, upon installing my first build in the car i discovered that any other loads on the circuit (ie, headlights, radio, anything) will cause my circuit to reset and break break the connection prematurely. I tried integrating a 12v voltage regulator into the input, but the issue still remains. Even on the bench now, if add the presence of a light bulb to the circuit, it resets.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. SgtWookie

Jul 17, 2007
    Sorry, but automotive modification topics are on the TOS restricted list, as per paragraph 6, which reads:

You might have a look in this thread:
    There are a few websites listed where automotive electronics might be permitted. Keep in mind that automobiles are one of the most challenging environments to design electronics for; and even experienced engineers make mistakes that cost car companies millions.

Nov 30, 2010
    This reset problem is an excellent example of why we don't do automotive circuits. So many things can go wrong in that electrically noisy environment. An ignition or brake circuit that keeps resetting could cause a disaster, even a death.
  4. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    @David G

This thread is a direct violation of the AAC forum rules, Chapter 6, as seen here:
    Therefore, this thread will be closed.

Please understand the reasons behind this action and bear no grudge.
    Feel free to tread on the rest of the forums.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.